Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access to Win2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsit

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2005
US
In the last week, all of a sudden, remote access to our Win2003 server stopped working. Stopped for both terminal server and remote desktop access. When ts or rdp is launched, Windows clears the screen and looks like it will splash the logon box - but it never does and the window is closed. All services are running and everything looks normal.

Has your lease run out on it, because if you dont buy the lisences for it, it will only last 180 days and then it will just stop working.

I thought a Win2003 server comes with 2 remote desktop connections? Meaning I wouldn't even need a terminal server license unless I wanted to add 3+ users.

A warning message stating that the 180 day license period was going to expire would be nice...

I have one problem with a TS server which acts the same way when the print spooler crashes. Luckly I have access to another server from remote on the same domain and restart the print spooler through RPC on the crashed TS server. As soon as the print spooler service is restarted, the background appears. I know it's a printer that's causing this problem because I rebuilt the whole TS server (with Citrix also) from scratch a few weeks ago and it's still acting up. I just haven't pinpointed which client pc is causing the lock up.

Are you sure that its a client computer causing the print spooler to crash and not like an error on the server. If possible I would recomend trying to reinstall printer services on that server. That might do the trick.

It's probably a print driver somewhere in my case but I can't pinpoint it. The workstations are half way across the globe so I have the rely on local techs that I have no control over. I've even allowed only a certain list of printers to be mapped but still can't find it. I asked the techs to reinstall the drivers on the suspected machine but still nothing.

Humm, well thats all I got. Try moving this question to another part of the forums, where this question is similar to the others you might be able to get some help there.

getting back on the remote access issue, I can't even get a connection with running ONLY remote admin. Forget about adding terminal services.

Everything I read says Win2003 allows 2 remote access connections by default. I have the box checked that allows remote connections to the server. When I use remote access, the screen blanks but just before the log in box is displayed, the user is kicked back to originating screen. It has to be a license issue because you never get the chance to enter a login for admin permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back