Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access to outside lines Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangus581

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
Here is the requirements....

boss wants to dial in to our system using the 800 # which links to the company's primary #. This would roll over to any one of our 8 incoming lines. He wants somehow to access back around to an outside line, so that he can call back out of the system to appear (and charge the calls as) he is in the office.

Equipment we have...
We currently have a MICS 6.1, and a NAM 4.1, I understand that I will need a DISA card, which I think I have- an E&M/DISA card that we had for our old 824 system (told it is compatible)

The theory (thanks to luv2ski)

Take an ATA, and place it say on extention 232 (we run 201-232). Connect the 'phone' jack on the ATA back to a Trunk Port on the DISA card. This would allow Boss to call in on any #, dial 232, therefore ringing the ata, making the DISA trunk answer the ATA's call giving at this point the stutter tone asking for the COS. Boss enters the COS and proceeeds like any other normal DISA setup.

Does anyone see any flaws with this? Will the Trunk module pickup the ATA's call properly? I assume with this setup, it is for the most part the same as setting up a dedicated trunk-line for DISA, with the benifit of not dedicating an incoming #, plus being able to dial in on any and every line.

If anyone has any better ideas I am open to them as well.

I've played around with this a bit, but I am concerned about no DS via the ATA. This could get expensive.

MarvO said it

Just make sure that your boss knows that if he can do it so can hackers. Try building a DISA DN and see how that works for you.

Any tips on building a DISA DN? What equipment would be needed? This is a little more in depth than I currently have knowledge for.

ok... so I got it working... heres how its set...

KSU has 2 CI trunk cards
Trunk Mod has in slot 1 a LD-DS trunk card, slot 2 E&M/DISA

ext 232 has an ATA2 on it, with the 'phone' port run back to the trunk mod's

When I connect to line 34 on the KSU, it works GREAT!! DS seems to work just fine, as the KSU handles it on both sides I believe. what is interesting, is when I connect it to the trunk module on line 64? (cant remember off the top of my head) it immediatly picks up the ATA2 and locks it. Its almost as if maybe the LS-DS card has a problem? I really would like to figure it out just to simply my installation, but I suppose I can keep it the way it is if I have to. a BIG thanks to Luv2ski for all the help that he has given me off-board on this project. This whole idea of how to do this is courtesy of him. The only other thing I wonder about at this point, is could I eliminate the ATA, and do this by using a DISA DN? I guess I dont understand what the DISA DN is for, and maybe someone could explain it for me?

I think the DISA DN is for changing COS remotely only. I thought you might be able to use it like I do in the Option 11. But apparantly you can not do that with NORSTAR. I know it can be done the Voice Mail just not sure how. Hackers do it all the time so I know it can be done. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

To Make DISA work you have to have the tone receivers/generators these are located in three places, on the services cartridge/Combo cartridge and the E&M Card.

You set a Loop start line as auto answer or on a prime or E&M set up a DISA DN. for analog lines:
Norstar Installers Guide said:
Loop start trunks give you incoming and outgoing access to
the public network. Loop start trunks can be configured as
manual-answer or auto-answer. The answer mode determines
how the system handles incoming calls.
When a call comes in on a manual-answer loop start trunk, it
alerts at all telephones with that line appearance.
When a call comes in on an auto-answer loop start trunk that
is configured to answer with direct inward system access
(DISA), the caller hears a stuttered dial tone. They must enter
a six-digit Class of Service (COS) password from a DTMF
telephone to access system dial tone.
Once the caller has system dial tone, they can then enter:
• a target line number
• a line pool access code
• a remote feature code.
By default, auto answer loop start trunks are configured to
answer with DISA, and are used to provide controlled access
to Norstar system resources.
When a call comes in on an auto-answer loop start trunk that
is not configured to answer with DISA, the caller hears system
dial tone.
They can then enter:
• a target line number
• the DISA DN, which will prompt for a Class of Service
password
• a line pool access code
• a remote feature code from a DTMF telephone
To place an outgoing call, a loop start line can be selected by:
• pressing a line button on the telephone
• dialing a line pool access code
• pressing a memory button that has been programmed with
a line pool access code
Configuration tips
• Loop start signaling is supported by Loop Start Trunk
Cartridges, Call Information (CI) Trunk Cartridges and
Digital Trunk Interfaces (DTI). Each Loop Start Trunk
Cartridge or CI Trunk Cartridge can provide four loop start
trunks. A DTI can provide up to 24 loop start trunks. If you
wish to configure your loop start trunks as auto-answer,
the trunks must have disconnect supervision.
• For Loop Start or CI Trunk Cartridges installed in a Trunk
Module, you will also need one E&M/DISA Trunk
Cartridge for every two loop start trunks that you configure
as auto-answer. The E&M/DISA Trunk Cartridge provides
two DTMF receivers to receive the incoming digits from
the central office. An auto-answer loop start trunk can give
you the same kind of direct inward dialing function as a
DID trunk.
• If your system includes both loop start trunks and DID
trunks, you would typically use loop start trunks for
outgoing calls and DID trunks for incoming calls.
• You may configure a loop start trunk as the prime line for
a Norstar telephone or a Business Series Terminal.
• The capabilities available to a remote caller are determined
by the remote filters and remote package assigned to a line,
or by the set restrictions, line restrictions, and remote
package assigned to the Class of Service password.
• Two loopstart trunk cartridges are compatible with
Modular ICS 6.1. The NT5B40GA-93 can be installed in
trunk module (TM) slots only. The NT7B75GA-93 can be
installed in either core slots three or four, or TM slots one,
two, or three.

not exactly what you were hoping for. you would almost have to set up a separate incoming line to answer with DISA.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Mind like a Steel trap - Once used forever clamped shut.

Are you open to using a solution that uses a PC? I setup the exact same setup at our office. I call in on our 800 number, I then transfer to an extension that has an ATA attached to it. The ATA is connect to a modem on a PC, and on the PC I run an IVR software package. The IVR is setup to ask for a password (passwords are user specific) and a number to call. Users, numbers called, dates and times are logged to a file that management can review. The IVR system then does a 3 way call transfer/link (Feature 71). After the call is connected, both office lines are freed up and able to process other calls. If you need more details please feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back