Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access to Outlook email 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHUK

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
GB
Hi

I run a small network which runs on Windows 2000 and has Exchange 2000 for all our email accounts running on Outlook. One user is on the road a lot and wishes to buy a laptop and access his work email account remotely by using a dial up connection and simple 56k modem in the laptop. Is there a simple way to set this up, without the need to buy lots of extra equipment? Ideally he will just find a phone connection and dial up to the internet with his laptop and then access his work email. But how could this be set up?

How can I enable the web mail services within Exchange 2000? Will this allow the user to check their work email via web pages? I have also heard of Outlook Web Access. What is this, and is this the same thing as 'web mail services'? I'm not that familiar with Exchange but we have Small Business Server 2000 which I do know.

Thank you very much for any help.

MHUK

HyperTerminal?? that is for serail comms. forget that

Please do not make it more complicated.

You need Windows XP for Remote Desktop.
If you have Windows 2000 Pro (at home), you need to install the TS Client.
You can create this disk on your server, look in the Help section for this.

The port is 3389, always.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Oh right. Sorry I was getting confused. I thought I had to set up the Remote Desktop Connection on our server pc at work. Yes I have XP Pro at home so I should be able to set all this up. We only have Windows 2000 at work.

Thank you for your help.

FYI,
OWA also uses the HTTPS protocol.

You'll need to forward port 443.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Sorry dearingkr, but that was already posted on March 15 !

You're right marcs41.
I didn't read everything through before posting, sorry.

If you guys don't mind, I'll add my 2 cents...

1. IP Address - Unless you use one of the Dynamic DNS services as marcs41 as suggested, you will need a static IP address from your ISP. This static IP address is what you'll use to access your network remotely.

2. Domain Name - contact whoever manages your domain name and have them add a host record: mail.cottonbottoms.co.uk
Use this in your url instead of using an IP address.

3. TCP/IP Ports - You'll need to forward port 80 & 443 on your router for OWA to work properly.
Port 3389 is used by Terminal Services (and Remote Desktop Connection). Forward this port on your router to give yourself remote access to your server.
WARNING: Do not allow your users this access. It will give them full access to your server as if they were sitting in front of it. However it is great for you to be able to manage your serve from home.

Marcs41 has been giving you excellent advice. Most of this is just a recap.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back