Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Server accepting Dial up connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat01

ISP
Sep 13, 2003
US
Hi,

I have one remote access server running win2000.advanced_server and it's connected to the Internet thru a LAN(It has one Public IP address).
I want to setup the RAS with a range of private IP addresses so that remote users can connect to it and have access to the internet. The result I am getting now is that The users are able to connect to the RAS but any web site they go to is "page cannot be found".
Does this have anything to do with setting up NAT?

Any Idea?

P.S. When I used a range of Public IP address (within my block) in the RAS, everything works fine.

Thanks

Mat

Yes, it does have to do with setting up NAT.

When your users try to connect to the internet while assigned a private IP, the site they are connecting to has no way to send a response. The private IP is not routable across the internet.

You need to setup NAT so the dialup users will connect to your machine, receive a private IP, then have this translated to your public IP before traffic is sent to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back