Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagFan

Programmer
Mar 13, 2007
US
I would like to access my computer at home from work. At home I'm running Windows 98 with a cable modem, so there is no dial up. Does anyone know how I would set up my computer at home so I can access it from work ? I would really appreciate some help

I would suggest purchasing pcanywhere to use for connecting to your home machine. The software is straight forward and user friendly. The one thing that you will have to find out is if your cable provider is assigning you a static IP address. Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

It has a static IP address. So PC anywhere would work then ?

Yes, Pcanywhere would work for you. Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

You could also use NetMeeting or VNC. Both are free and provide MOST of the functions as pcAnywhere.
For NetMeeting simply go to Start>Run> and type in "conf" (without the "") after you install and share your desktop and click on help>about NeetMeeting. Listed at the bottom will be your IP address that you will need for the other computer.
There are several versions of VNC. Just do a search for VNC remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back