Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptech

Technical User
Sep 19, 2002
US

I am having a problem with a Option-11 system responding remotely via a robotic 56k modem. The modem will answer and connects but I am unable communicate. I am getting a blank screen I have the robotic modem switches set 3, 5, 8 down and connnected directly to the serial port 0. I have changed the modem and checked software TTY 0 port. Any ideas?

DON'T USE A 56K GET A 33.6 SOMETHING ABOUT THE V.92
This is the setup for the US Robotics External Sportster 33.6 Fax Modem:
1. Power down the Modem
2. Set Dip Switch 1,3,5,8 Down; Set Dip Switch 2,4,6,7 Up>
3. Power up the Modem and program it as follows (set your terminal for 9600,N,8,1): AT&F&AT&B1&W&W1
4. Power down the Modem and set Dip Switches 1,4 Down; 2,3,5,6,7,8 Up
5. Power Up

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

you can also try a null modem in line with the modem, the set up for rolm is perfect for a nortel switch, butif it's not right the symptoms will vary.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I stopped using modems quite a while ago, when I found this product:
I now have one of these connected to the TTY ports of all the Meridians I maintain, the second port is either connected to the call logging port, and I have a central PC that loggs all of the call logging data.

I am able to telnet to these devices and access to the TTY ports, from anywhere on our WAN. I can also dial into our WAN from home and have full access.

I don't know whether this would be suitable for you, but it sure beats messing with modems.

pls post the item/part number, that looks like something i could use in house..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I only know it an an "Axis 2490 Serial Server", the only part number I can find is: 0108-003-02

This link may help you source one:

The device itself, is not bigger than an external modem, it has two RS-232 ports on the front, and RS485 and a 10/100 ethernet port on the back, along with the power connector.

It's fairly easy to set up, just plug into the LAN and use the utility that you get on the CD, to assign an IP address ( I usually use my Laptop and a crossover cable to do this), then connect the serial port(s) to the Meridian, the type of cable will probably depend on your Meridian. There is a built in web server, to allow you to configure the device. You can define users, to make it secure and change all the standard Com Port settings (Baud Rate, Data Bits, Flow Control etc.) you also define a TCP/IP port number, so that you can telnet through to the Com Port.

You can also setup users, with passwords so that you can restrict who connects through to the com ports and you can also define which IP addresses can connect, so you can make it quite secure.

I use HyperTerminal to Telnet through to the com port, so there's nothing comlex there.

I never connect any of my switches to modems anymore for security. Many evil hearted people out there. I use term servers to the RS-232 port like the device mentioned above.

Another device I am getting ready to try soon, for small sites with network connectivity is in this link. I have heard good reports. It's about the size of an RJ48 module that you can mount in a wallplate or biscuit blank. The price is right, about $60 each. Here is the link.

Does this AXIS device work on an option 61 TTY port as well?

I have no problem connecting, but all I get is one line of text:

LAPM/V42BIS

I try typing LOGI after that but get no response. What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back