Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access for employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBorecky

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2002
US
I'm kinda in over my head here, but have stumbled through this far. Recently my company has decided to open up my server to the world by getting a permanent IP. Hoping that our road warriors could access company files. I've been able to set up a web site and FTP site but found out that FTP passwords are sent in clear text. Not so good for keeping evil people out. Is there a way I can let our employees into the server so that it appears as if they are logged in-house?? I can set up a private web site with authenication but modifing files, can be a real pain. [sadeyes]

The best and most secure method would be for you to setup a vpn, are your users mobile or branch office, is your server behind a firewall, what type of firewall.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Two suggestions....VPN via the net, or direct dialin RRAS connection. Either situation will allow your users to log on to the network as local users.

As for info on setting up, there are a number of Remote Access
forums on tek-tips, and is a good source of info for win2k specific issues.

Good luck
David

I've heard of VPN but most of the documentation is for Dial-up. I'd like to use our DSL connection. I have a netgear RT311 I've been using as a firewall, It's done a pretty good job so far. And I'm able to get through the FTP and web site while closing everything else out.

By the way thanks for your help!!

You can use VPN thru dial-up all the way to T1 broadband connection. What you really need to find out are:
1. Is your firewall/router supports IPSec or VPN pass thru.
2. If it does, then you need to enable it and set up your server for as VPN server.
3. If it's not, you need to get firewall w/ above function capable or invest some money for true VPN/firewall appliance.

Well..... I'm getting closer. I can set up the VPN and get in from outside just fine. But when I do, the DHCP server which is on the same machine, goes to lunch. If I renew the IP's from another machine locally I find the IP address for the DHCP server the same as my RAS. The local machines then can't log in. If I remove the RAS then I can instantly log in again.
Where is the RAS getting it's IP's anyways. Is it from the DHCP server, or is it just giving them out on it's own?

The RAS getting it's IP from DHCP server. To resolve this issue you must first limit the lease duration to 1 day and then right click on DHCP server name and set the conflict detection attemp to 1 under advance tab.

WOW!!!! That worked. Thanks to all who helped. I've struggled all day and might be able to help someone else out if need be. Put another notch in the belt. jboreckysep@aol.com [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back