Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Exam.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

compdoctor

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
I am trying to look for good study material for the Remote Access exam. Could someone direct me to some good materials? Thanks in advance.

The Todd Lammell book is O.K, it is easy to read but lacks a lot of the detail of the Cisco Press books. Todds CCNP offerings are not to the same quality level as his CCNA book. Probably best to use two sources of information to ensure nothing is missed.

i would agree with ste1. I took a cisco CCNP remote access, and advanced routing classes. The sybex books are very vauge, but simplified things. The cisco press books and online curriculum have much better and more dettailed information. The press books give more info then the online curriculum dose. and stay away form the exam crame books (if you can still get them???) they did not follow the exam at all (had a friend fail using those books).

tip: cisco askes alot of questions about BGP, OSPF, and EIRGP on the routing exam. and alot of questions on frame-relay, and isdn on the remote access exam.

Yep.. my first 10 questions for routing were EIGRP questions. Then it was mostly a BGP test.. with a few odd questions thrown in.

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I agree with all the above posts. CiscoPress is WAY to detailed for what you will need for the test but the Sybex book is not detailed enough. I suggest getting the 2 of them learning what is in the Sybex book and then dive a bit deeper with the CiscoPress.

A good place to get practice exams are I've had GREAT luck with those.

Tara

I have the Cisco CCNP prep library. I have found that whats in these books are whats on the exam. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA,(Routing)
[americanflag]

Compdoctor,

I just passed the Support Exam and earned my CCNP certification. I used the Cisco Press official courseware books (Cisco CCNP Preparation Library for the 640-50x series) and the CCNP Exam Certification Guides (Cisco CCNP Certification Library) from Cisco Press to prepare for the four exams in the series. Although this represented an investment close to $350, it was much cheaper than attending four ILT classes. I found that by studying the courseware, then using the practice exams from the cert guides, it helped me concentrate on my areas of weakness. I also have a fairly decent test lab consisting of five 25xx routers and a couple of 2924 switches, all retired from our production environment, that I set up at work to help me and my technicians with our Cisco cert efforts. (I haven't used the Cisco eSim product and have heard mixed reviews, but a simulator is better than nothing if you don't have access to a test lab. I used RouterSim when I was doing my CCNA preparation and found it to be effective.) If you are successful with the self-paced study model, this path is my recommendation. I took a test approximately every six months and passed each one on the first try. My sequence was Remote Access, Routing, Switching, and Support.

Now it is time to buckle down and start working on the CID exam to complete my CCDP certification. I hope to have that under my belt by the end of summer.

Good luck in your efforts,

Joe

Joseph B. Baugh PMP, CCSE, CUE, CCNP, CCDA
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative Services, Inc.

i also agree with all the post. to buy books, go to and put the isbn #. it searches 34 bookstores and finds the lowest price for you. on apr 22, i took the advance routing test. i scored 952. the only studying material i had was the cisco academy sem 5 and the book that was required. i spent 2 weeks studying. 1 week, i read the online curricculum and the other week, i basically, rewrote the whole book on another notebook. doing the labs also helps alot. the test bascially turned out to be a ospf, multi-area ospf, bgp, scaling bgp and some eigrp questions. watch out for trick questions like eigrp being a DR or BDR. ospf using "variance", which it can't since its ciscos and can be used on igrp and eigrp. know the command syntax in creating a stub, nssa areas. after you are done reading, read the material again becoz when you think you know, you dont!
-good luck.

Saleen- you must go through pads of paper like I do.. the CCNP was worth several trees of paper notes ;-)

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back