Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Connection Manager won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraday

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
During one of the major XP Pro upgrades, a file got corrupt and I had to re-install XP. I cannot set up a dialup connection now. From the network wizard, Dialup is grayed. I've gotten an error 711. I went to MS Knowledge base and followed the instructions for restarting the Teleophy and Remote Access Connection manager services. Telophony was running but RAC was not. When I try and start it I get an error 6 "Access denied".

What can I do?

/doc

i may sound silly but.....r u signed on as admin? AOL Tech

I have this same problem. I stumbled across this page from microsoft.com (You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP). It has to do with the SP1 update for Windows XP. If you have previously installed it, then uninstalled it, there are some registry steps you can take to restore RAC.
However, what worked for me, and what they recommend fist doing would be to SP1 for Windows XP. Worked like a charm. Good luck!

In re; to em2johns reply............i think you may have left our a word..........I too am having the same problem and my computer mfg. (DELL) won't or can't help and my ISP (MSN) keeps referring me back to Dell.........did you mean to say you UNINSTALLED the SP1 and then REINSTALLED it?

Thanks

Hey You all, if you have SP1, and you're comfortable with handling the registry, dop's solution works. Visit the microsoft website, delete those two entries, and if that dosen't work, then reinstall the SP1 pack all together. I've been working on this for 12 hours, and finally decided to resort to tech support. After their "band-aid" fix didn't work, I found you guys, real IT professionals! I hope anyone else with this issue finds this thread first, because it's definatly nerve wracking! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back