Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access card problem with ACS R8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russff

Technical User
Oct 9, 2010
US
We have a remote access PC card that came with our original system (we started over 10 years ago with ACS R1 and upgraded to R3 back then with the Remote Access PC card which has a 1998 sticker on it). We just upgraded to ACS R8. This remote access card does not seem to work with the ACS R8 (when I try to connect remotely, it makes modem buzzing noises instead of the normal modem squealing noises and will not connect). Is this card compatible with ACS R8 or can I update the software on it to make it work?

The RACs are iffy at best, and have a known problem with 308 modules combined with R7/R8 processors. Better route would be to use the Admin port, and either connect directly from the serial port of your PC, or to an external modem that can be connected to a station port or directly to an outside line.

Yes, we also have a 308 card. I do connect directly now to the Admin port, but it's just a hassle because of where the ACS is mounted out in the shop, the RAC card would be a HUGE help.

Oh, and it's actually only XMT, RCV, and GND, so 3 conductors would do it.

If you have a 4 pair feeding your phone now, you could make use of the spare pairs to extend the admin port.

I dial into systems all over the nation using the Remote Access card - I haven't found it to be iffy - although I know that many have. I love that feature. There has also been an issue with the R8 module with some of the voice messaging cards. When both the RAC card and VM card are being used, it causes the RAC card to not work.

If your system is using both cards, here is a suggestion:
1. Power down and pull the vm card out
2. Power up and see if you can connect through the RAC
3. If you can, then your unit has that problem.

If you don't have a VM card but you do have a 308 card in Slot 1 and you have a 206 module:
You could swap them - putting the 206 in Slot 1. That will fix the problem. However, this will change the port numbering for your extensions and you will need to adjust them accordingly.

The Remote Access Cards do go bad, so you might try another one, if the above fail to fix the problem.

....JIM....

We have a 308EC in slot 1 and Messaging R7 in slot 2. I tried the RAC card in both slots of the ACS R8 and it's the only PC card being used in the ACS. It does the same thing in both slots, just makes that buzzing sound when I try to connect to it.
As for running a direct RS232 cable, it's about a 125' run from the ACS to my desk, so I don't think that would work.

As I said, its a 1998 card. Can the software be updated to something newer? Maybe it's just a version issue.

You'd be surprised how far RS-232 will travel - 125' is nothing. Go ahead and give it a try. Again, just use spare pairs in your current phone drop to make a new 2-pair connection. Or even, for a test, disconnect your phone, and swing the connecting cord from your extension number on the ACS to the Admin port. Plug your 355A adapter into the jack where your phone was, and it should sing!

There is a known problem with the modem when there is a 308 card in Slot 1. R8 is the current release - no upgrade is available. Why don't you remove the 308 and see if the modem works? If it does, you will know for sure where the problem is.

The RAC card should be in Slot 1. The suggestion to switch slots was only if you had Partner PC voice mail. It doesn't apply with P Msg, which you have.

Do you have a 206 module? What modules do you have in the carrier, starting from the left?

The modules in the rack are (left to right) 308EC, Messaging R7, and ACS R8.
As for an upgrade, I was wondering if there is newer software for out 1998 version RAC card and if it field upgradeable ( has a link to a v8.0.0.4 RAC software upgrade, but the link is dead).
I'll try removing the 308EC card, but I'll have to wait for after hours.

To my knowledge there is no software update for the RAC, you just replace it with a new one! Metroline metrolinedirect.com has them for $59.00, which is a good price.

....JIM....

I'm trying the external modem route. I've got the modem on ext. 25 with the data cable plugged into the admin port. I can dial ext. 25 and the modems connect, but then it times out and says session initiation failed. I looked at avaya's support and cannot find modem configuration settings (it's a Multitec MT5634ZBA). I know the data cable is good because I've direct connected with it. Tried reversing pins 2 & 3 also, since modem is DCE.

OK, I removed the 308EC card and the RAC card worked like it should, I put the 308EC back in and I get that bad modem sound. Tried the RAC in both slots, so it seems this RAC card will not work. It's a 12G1 (1998 version). Avaya KB01091598 says the same thing, about the incompatibility, although it mentions the G5 card and I have a G1.

I haven't found any release RAC that will work with an R8 and a 308 in Slot 1 - despite what Avaya says about the release numbers. Every release works fine if the 308 is removed. You might want to look on eBay and see if you can find a used 206 module. You could put the 206 in Slot 1, the 308 in Slot 2, and PMsg to the right of the processor. Your voice mail ports would need to be reconfigured, and if your RAC card works now - it will work with that set up.

Instead of adding a 206 card, couldn't I just swap the messaging card and the 308 card? The order would be from left: messaging, 308, ACS. Does moving the 308 and messaging card change all the extension #s?

They are position dependent, depending on the module used and how many station/line ports they have.

....JIM....

I got hold of a 12G4 R6 RAC card. I put it into our old R3 system first to use up the update so it wouldn't downgrade our R8 system (added bonus, now our R3 system is an R6 system). I then put it into our R8 system and all is good, I can remote connect to port 76 and the modems connect. The 308EC card is still in slot 1 and the RAC card is in PC card slot 1, so I guess the compatibility issue doesn't affect all systems. I never could get the external modem route to work (the modems would connect but that was it), so I'm happy now.

Thanks to all for the helpful tips. This forum has been a major help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back