Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access BCM50e Without VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnbisson

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

I would like to access my nortel BCM50e (with element manager) without VPN. I need to know wich port to open.

I can't use the VPN because of the annoying "text banner message". I've already search for this trouble and every solution I found didn't work. I even contacted my ISP provider to tell him to open port 500 IKE, 50-51. My ISP tell me that he forward everything with his router.

So this is it, how can I access my bcm50e without VPN.

Thank you

The solution I use is that I have a dedicated computer on the LAN that runs Element Manager.

I can then connect to the dedicated computer via Remote Desktop or something like GoToMyPC, LogMeIn. Remote Desktop only requires one port to be open and pointed to the LAN IP of the desktop. The others do not require any special network setup.

==================================
<INSERT SIGNATURE HERE>

Ways to dial in is in our FAQ's:

Not sure how you get text messages on VPN, does not sound like VPN to me as VPN is a secure private path.
Any ports forwarding is done on your router on site and not the ISP's.
You can access your own router via the browser to change settings.

=--(((((((((()--=
curlycord

Yes, I know that I can manage my router. Look the attachement.. this is why I can't use the VPN.

RDP and VNC are a good idea but I would prefere to directly manage BCM with bcm element manager with port forward. I already opened the 5989 ( I made some sniffing with Wireshark and it seems to be the 5989 TCP) but it doesn't work.

Thank you

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/campusnetz/vpn/pdf/TT-Checking_Banner_text.pdf
There is a bilt in modem for dial up.Needs to be activated.

I dont much like Nortels VPN.

Do you or have you tried other versions like Sonic or Forticlient? or even the one built in Windos to see if they work?
It may help in trouble shooting.

If I recall the BCM needs a lot of ports opened up.

=--(((((((((()--=
curlycord

You could always just assign the BCM a public IP.

You should only see that banner if you're trying to access the BCM with a contivity client, which would be VPN.

Exactly how are you trying to access it now?

-SD-

Hi fnbisson,

You are correct. The BCM - Element Manager uses port 5989.

I have a two part authentication. When I want to manage the BCM I open the port. When I am finished with the BCM I close the port.

I used netstat to determine this information when I ran my element manager, from inside my network. I then verified it was true when I need to manage it from another site. I am running a UTM firewall and made an exception to only scan for virus' on one subnet compared to the whole UTM suite on the other subnet.

Did you put a gateway setting in your BCM?
Did you verify that your firewall isn't dumping the connection?

John

port 5500 to 8000 will work. Set UDP, and TCP. Then use the WAN IP for element manager and you will be good. Sometimes call pilot manager will not work from within element manager on the same session, but element manager will work for sure. Then to do call pilot manager, type the WAN ip in a web browser seperately for VM management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back