Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REmote access and caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

bparr

Technical User
Feb 11, 2009
US
I have a remote access line set up and am able to use it to place calls from an ofsite phone through our system. The problem is that the caller ID of the ofsite phone gets passed through the system. Is there a way to change the caller ID or at least block it? I know I can change caller ID for outgoing calls placed from a station onsite, but can I do that for remote access calls?

Oh it is a Definity 8500

Ultimately, no. It's going to pass through the caller ID of the originating station.

That capability comes with the system feature called EC500. You map a phone extension on the PBX to a cell phone (or other phone) and using ANI delivered from PRIs, the system maps the external phone to the extension and uses the extension's caller ID for all calls.

Check your system. (display capacity) It may have a couple of EC500 licenses you can play with.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

You could also turn off Caller-Id from your cell phone if/when you place calls to Remote Access#...

To dufus2506's point. Look into Feature-Name-Extensions. This is a more secure form of Remote Access. It authenticates against your cell/mobile number, and gives you ability to mask your outbound number as well.

Thanks,
98C

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

How do I use FNEs to mask my outbound cell calls. in my scenario, off site "on call" staff could return calls in a way that the caller ID would show (regardless of what cell number is placing the call) our after hours support number. Which would be set to forward to one of the "on call" people.

You would create EC500 off premises stations for each of your on-call people. The extension associated with the off premises station would be changed in the public-unknown-numbering format to send your support number. This could be the extension of your on-call folks, or just any other number you want.

Anytime any of your on-call people called into the PBX using something the FNE for idle appearance select, they would get a dialtone that they could use to call back the customer. The call would be re-originated from your PBX, and would have the display information you want. (Not to mention the CDR data to show call times and other such important contact-with-your-customer information.)

EC500 is designed to make any cell phone or other off premises station look (and act) as if it were the phone on the users desk.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

you can change incoming CID to different numbers if they tandem through the switch

Code:
change trunk-group 4                                            Page   2 of  23
TRUNK FEATURES
          ACA Assignment? n            Measured: none      Wideband Support? n
                                                          Maintenance Tests? y
                               Data Restriction? n     NCA-TSC Trunk Member:
                                      Send Name: n      Send Calling Number: y
            Used for DCS? n
   Suppress # Outpulsing? y    Format: public
 Outgoing Channel ID Encoding: preferred     UUI IE Treatment: shared
                                           Maximum Size of UUI IE Contents: 128
                                                 Replace Restricted Numbers? n
                                                Replace Unavailable Numbers? n
                                                      Send Connected Number: n
Network Call Redirection: none                    Hold/Unhold Notifications? y
             Send UUI IE? y       [b] [COLOR=red]            Modify Tandem Calling Number? y [/color][/b]
               Send UCID? y                BSR Reply-best DISC Cause Value: 31
 Send Codeset 6/7 LAI IE? y                         Ds1 Echo Cancellation? n
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
display tandem-calling-party-num                                Page   1 of   8
                  CALLING PARTY NUMBER CONVERSION
                          FOR TANDEM CALLS
     CPN              Trk                                 Number
 Len Prefix           Grp(s)     Delete  Insert           Format

9   1                4          all     1234567890       pub-unk
 10  1                4          all     1196550000       pub-unk
 10  2                4          all     1196550000       pub-unk
 4   3                4          all     1196550000       pub-unk
 5   3                4          all     1196550000       pub-unk
 10  3                5          all     1196550000       pub-unk
 9   4                8          all     1196550000       pub-unk

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

35 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 25 years and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back