Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access accoss T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireMike84

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
US
I work for resort hotel in the IT department. We recently had a group come in an use a guest room as an office, they had three laptops setup with a mini switch that connected to our T1 line going out to the internet. Two of the three laptops were about to connect to their network using MS Remote Network Access but the third could not giving an error that said "The account does not have permission to dial in." I believed that this was a problem on there side at the time. One person from the group has come back and is attmepting to connect again using a laptop that worked last time and is not getting the same error when he tries to log in "The account does not have permission to dial in." But the kicker is that if he uses a dial up connection he is able to connect through Remote Network Access just fine. I am not very familiar with RNA ad didn't know if the problem was on our in or his. It seems to me like he is getting to his network if it is telling him he doesn't have permission to dial in. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Mike Walton
Network+

There is a lot of information we don't have here, such as what type of router/firewall you have, and how their stuff is setup on their end. The fact that 2 users could connect and 1 couldn't, tells me your firewall was not interfering. So someone has returned and now they can't connect. Unless you have changed something, I would be confident the problem is on their end. However, the dial up works. Okay, are they dialing a public ISP? Are they dialing direct into their LAN? Perhaps its your ISP that has made changes to their firewall?

I really see you going in circles with this, unless you can speak to their administrator(s). Time to either state you provide web access and that's all, or if you are obligated to support them to make them happy, then you need to contact their administrator and find out what their remote requirements are.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt is right on with his post. You could literally be running in circles trying to figure out what's going on, especially if you can't get ahold of their network/sys admin. You really are going to have choose where you draw the line as far as tech support. If you start messing around with their machines and something happens, you can get in a whole mess of trouble. I know this from personal experience when I wiped clean a visiting faculty members hard drive before they pulled off all of their files.

One solution is to have them remote control their work machine using your T1 connection. I'd try either LogMeIn.com and GoToMyPC as they can traverse firewalls via a secure gateway (tunnel via port 443). I said in another post, and I think I am correct, that LogMeIn.com is completely free, while GoToMyPC makes you enter credit card information. I'm not certain however, so it would probably be best for you to take a look yourself. Good luck with the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back