Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote acces problem with 200R

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilkoB

Technical User
May 13, 2004
NL
I am trying to remotely access the symantec 200R at work from my home.

The problem I have is that I can connect with the VPN client software
via my dial in account but not via my DSL.
The VPN client tries to make a connection but does not get connected.

I have the following set up for my ADSL:

Arescom modem/router connected to a linksys wireless router WRT54G
For the ADSL connection I have a fixed IP address.

I have the above problem when I connect wireless or when the laptop is
connected to the router with CAT5

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this????

Some DSL Modems have built in firewall features. It is possible that the modem is blocking some ports needed for establishing the VPN connection. You should check the documentation on your DSL Modem/Router and your wireless and enable the needed ports.

Wilkob

I have just ordered a 200r for my network. Apart from the problem you are having with the VPN client, are there any other situations you can advise me to watch out for. Also
Apeasecpc is right. almost all home dsl modems have simple security protocols that do not allow VPN access.

I can only show you the door, your the one that has to open it !

Matrixa,

In the meantime I have solved the problem by buying a new modem/router (zyxel 650).

Untill now I don't have a lot of problems with the 200R.
I use it for a site to site connection and to enable a couple remote workers to pick up their e-mail at the office.
If you don't want to do anything intricate it is a good solution.

Only problem that just came to mind is perhpas that I had some problems when I had to DSL lines attached to both WAN ports.

the idea was that the 200R would switch from 1 DSL to the other when one of them was down. We never got this to work properly. We have a lot of latency on the 2nd line when both POrts were used. we are still looking at the cause - didn't seem the DSL line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back