Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote acces on SBS2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomartinpe

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2006
Hi.
I'm trying to setup the remote access on SBS2003, I run the wizard but dont know which option to select. Please tell me what to choose. The Owa works ok. The ISA that cames with this version isnt installed yet. My objetive is my client can logon from the outside to load and save documents in the server. What is the procedure to gain this? I know he must to put the public ip address in browser or put this address from another window (as remote assistant).
All replys welcome.
Thanks!

I'm assuming you mean you want to grant Remote Web Workplace, which lets the users connect to an internal workstation running Windows XP?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

what solution are you trying to achieve?

Do you want the user to be able to access thier desktop or do you want them to access files such as word and excel files on the network?

You also need to make sure the corresponding ports are open on your router/firewall

Thanks
Nick

Yes, I mean users can logon to server to access files, such as for reading as deleting or creating new ones. I know remote web workplace can be a solution, but only is needed users can browse folders to manage his personal files (as you explore folders with windows explorer).

Thanks

Sniper is correct. VPN will be a great solution for all of your needs

Ok...The wizard on SBS2003 can setup VPN by itself?
My server is conected to ip public address. The OWA works ok. After Vpn was installed, how the outside computer must lo login? writtin ip address on web browser? or using a program on Xp.
THanks in advance.

What vpn wizard are you referring to? The wizard in SBS is for Remote Web Workplace, not a VPN.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

The wizard is the Remote Access Configuration Wizard. This is in the Server Management Console > Internet and Email section and will configure the VPN properly.

Then, you must go to the Remote Web Workplace main menu to download the Small Business Server Connection Manager (VPN Client) to connect.

Instructions for all of this are on the RWW Main Menu under the Information and Answers link.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

I have done this Connection Manager part and now have a network connection desktop icon to connect to server using username and password.
But how do i now access resources on the server at the main office since i'm connected.
I would like remote users to logon to the domain to get a login script from the SBS server and to map drives, read their mail, browse shared network files etc.????
I'm used to the LAN scenario but not the VPN story. I want remote users to be like local domain users if possible.

You have to be cautious when allowing VPN connections to your network from machines that you cannot control.

So, are these remote users using computers that are members of the domain already? Or are they using their own computers?

If the computers are not members of the domain, then you can do a couple of things to allow them email and file access without the use of a VPN. An overview of the various remote access options is here:
Using Outlook 2003, they can access email with RPC over HTTPS. RPC over HTTPS instructions are on the server's Remote Web Workplace main menu -- linked as "Configure Outlook via the Internet" -- access the RWW Main Menu by going to from on your server. (See for more info on RWW).

This feature must also be enabled in the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW -- which is linked as Connect to the Internet in the Server Management Console > To-Do List) by checking the box on the Web Services Configuration Screen for "Outlook via the Internet".

A visual how-to is here:

Shared files can be stored on your SharePoint companyweb and access to that can be easily made through a browser. Then all you have to do is open port 444 to allow access directly to the companyweb via or users can access the companyweb through RWW.

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

Not to mention that you're responsible for all licensing for all software on any machine that connects via VPN.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

remote users will have to join the domain for password and loginscript policies.
What happens first from the remote side assuming pc already joined the domain and VPN is working.

Basicly what steps does the users following to logon to domain via a VPN.

First, to clarify what Pat/58sniper said... you are NOT responsible for licensing of software on machines that you do not own unless that software provides the access to your network or is a client for an application running on your network.

Now to your question jakess...

Your original question was... "My objetive is my client can logon from the outside to load and save documents in the server". Using a VPN connection from a computer that is a member of the domain will be exactly how you are wanting things to be... just as if they are in the LAN.

If the remote machine is already a member of the domain (ie, it's a laptop or a pre-joined workstation that was delivered to a remote location), then you would use the VPN Client -- the SBS Connection Manager that's now on your desktop. Click that to create the connection.

Once connected, you can open Outlook and your email would be there. (assuming that this machine has been inside the LAN and Outlook has already auto-configured) As long as your machine was joined to the domain properly using SBS's wizard, then Outlook would also auto-configure for any other domain user that has not yet used this machine.

If you have a login script that maps drives, then it's actually better to have the machine log onto the domain before you do. To do this, on your login box you'll see an option to log on using a dial-up connection (bad choic of words on their part). Check this box and you'll see your SBS Connection Manager's name to select... then click connect.

By doing it this way, the machine logs on before the user which will allow for mapped drives to be set.

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

TechSoEasy said:
First, to clarify what Pat/58sniper said... you are NOT responsible for licensing of software on machines that you do not own unless that software provides the access to your network or is a client for an application running on your network.

If you're connecting via a VPN connection, the machine is a network node, and the company is legally bound for licensing - the same as if the machine was inside the environment. There have been cases where that was an issue, and companies got shafted.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Well, I'm no WebDAV expert, but an ODBC connection isn't the same thing as VPN access (in respect to licensing).

When you connect via VPN, you have (for the sake of argument here), access to all resources as if you took that same computer into the office and plugged it into a LAN jack. That's a network node. Whether you connect via LAN cable, WiFi, or VPN, it's still the same. The connection method does not change licensing requirements.

If you connect to, say, Terminal Services, RWW, or something similar, that's different. You're connecting to a single resource that then provides access from that resource to others. In that case, the TS or SBS box is the network node. Thus, you have to have a TS CAL for each user, as well as a user CAL for each user for any application they're accessing on the TS box. (25 users logging on to use Outlook would require 25 TS CALS and 25 Exchange CALs)

VPN: You're paying for the OS and apps on a per user basis
TS: You're paying for the TS and apps on a per user basis

Companies are liable for what's on their network - no matter how far it's extended. And VPN connections are "on the network".

I hope this makes more sense.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back