Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RememberVLAN issye 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juasiepo

Technical User
May 27, 2010
ES
Hi,

I have a strange issue with the RememberVLAN parameter in my d42x02-config.txt

I am performing some tests with the VLAN "automagically" configurations. For the moment it works like a charm but I have a strange issue with the RememberVLAN parameter in my d42x02-config.txt

RememberVLAN=WARM ;WARM = Remember VLAN ID only after warm reboot, COLD = Remember VLAN ID after both warm and cold reboot.

I have this parameters set to WARM but my phones remember their VLAN ID. That's a problem when the phone changes from one voice VLAN to another as sometimes users move (with all their belongings IP phone included) from one office to another in a different floor (and the network has configured diferent VLAN depending floor).

Remembering the VLAN ID is a problem as the phone will sent a tagged DHCP request with a wrong VLAN ID. So it will not get any answer.

Any Idea how to solve this?

Thank you four your time.

Best regards

At warm reboot (the power is not disconnected), the telephone will continue to use the previously used VLAN identity.

At cold reboot (disconnect / connect the power), the complete automatic VLAN discovery procedure will start from the beginning

Let it try COLD

It works perfectly!

The explanation in the file is not very clear

Thanks a lot

Hi again,

I have checked it again and it doesn't work using COLD

I have made test with dbc42x02 and dbc42201 phones

With the dbc42x02 the process is the following:
It obtains the untagged IP address the restarts and obtains a tagged IP address till this moment all is normal.

With the dbc42201 the process is the following:
It obtains the untagged IP address and do not restart for obtaining the tagged IP address. But if i restart it, it obtains the tagged IP address. So the process doesn't go as it should be.

But when I move both IP phones to another outlet in a different VLAN both start and remain in the "connecting to DHCP server" state. So I have to enter in the manual administrative mode to unset the VLAN parameters and the restart the IP phones to make them work again

Maybe a firmware issue? Phones have the following versions

dbc42201
HW ver./:Application ver./Boot ver.:R3A/R5M/R5E

dbc42x02:
HW ver./Application CAA1580043 ver./Boot ver.:R3C/R7M/R3T1

Any other idea?

Thank you for your time

Best Regards

At cold reboot (disconnect / connect the power), the complete automatic VLAN discovery procedure will start from the beginning. For DBC 42x 01 telephones (ARM platform), the power must be disconnected for at least one minute to get this cold reboot.

Thank for your reply.

I read that in the forum and I wait for more than 5 minutes (just in case) for both kind of phones with no success. That's the reason I think it can be related with firmware versions.

Also the dbc42201 is not restarting automatically to get the voice VLAN IP address (after the tagged dhcp request).

Best regards

Juan

42201 handsets are very old and certainly when experiences like this were had several years ago with customers i dealt with, they were replaced with 42x02 handsets. I think your problem will not be fixed on 42201 whatever you do.

best parnum

Hi again,

With the new firmware it works as expected for the new ones 42x02. :)

We are going to replace the old 42201 handsets with the new ones to make it work.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and time.

Best regards!

Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back