Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remembering password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2000
US
I have this thinkpad 600 with windows 98 on it.  at one time the dialup Networking icon used to remember the password... Now when I type the password in... the box with remember  password doesn't highlight for me to do anything with it.. I even tried creating a new one, but still the box, remember password will not turn on...  Is there something I could of changed to cause that box not to accept the check.. Thanks for the help

This can occur if you are not currently logged on to Windows 95/98, therefore, your password cache list file is not opened, and your passwords cannot be saved. <br><br>Check out the following MS Article for the full story:<br><br><b><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> this helps<br><br>Neil.

1. Go to C:\Windows<br>Delete all .pwl files<br><br>2. Open system.ini<br>Delete all lines under <br>[Password Lists]<br><br>3. Go to ControlPanel&gt;Network<br>Choose Windows Logon as Primary Login<br><br>Reboot<br><br>You should now get the login box one last time. Just click OK for no password. Right-click on Internet Explorer on the desktop, choose properties, click the Connections tab, highlight your dial-up connection, click Settings and input your dial-up password here.<br><br>If not try this registry key:<br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon<br>username -- delete whatever name is currently there<br><br>Not Yet?<br>Try<br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon<br>if there is a binary value called MustBeValidated<br>and it has a value of 01 00 00 00, change it to 00 00 00 00.<br><br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Network\Real Mode Net\AutoLogon<br>Change the value from 00 00 00 00 to 01 00 00 00. If that key is not there, create it and give it that value.<br><br>reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back