Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remap keys 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcdesigns

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2007
US
I made a small batch file to kill explorer.exe and I now need to remap the delete key to something else so the temp workers cannot press control alt delete to get to task manager and run the process. Currently the computer auto logs in, and auto runs the app they need. I have put all the computers in a certain group of IP addresses and disabled internet access to them through our switch. I have done some work with keys in visual basic but I am wondering how can I make a vbscript to remap that delete key. I have got some very good help through the forum before. I appreciate the help.

I don't think you'll be able to remap CTRL-ALT-DEL since it generates a hardware interrupt. It'd be easier to disallow Task Manager with a security policy.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

unfortunately the computers are running windows 2000 otherwise I would set the power button option to ask what to do when you press in the button. Then I could disable task manager. I have disabled explorer and want to just change the delete key to shift or something else. They only run one program so if it crashes or closes I want them to just be able to restart and then it will auto login like usual and then start up the program. I just dont want them to be able to run explorer.exe.

You should be looking at Group Policy objects which will allow you the level of control you are looking for.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I checked out group policies but not seeing anything to do with system configs and adjusting the settings of the power button. I will have to do some more googling I guess. Thanks Markdmac

You can use GPO to prevent the users from launching task manager.

As for the power button, that is usually a setting in the BIOS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thank markdmac, I will look into that and see how it goes. Sounds logical to me but I just came up to a more important project with scripting. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back