Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remaining in table context for execute statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumbelie

Programmer
Dec 31, 2002
GB
Hi,
Is there any way I can remain in context during an update to another table? The problem I'm having is that if I capture the current table I'm in to a variable, and then perform a USE statement, I immediatly leave the context of my current table for the new one. Now, if I do an EXECUTE statement - such as EXECUTE ('USE '+@dbnameIcaptured) - the db switches back, but only for the context of the execute statement. What I really want to be able to do is perform a 'batch' switch, e.g - switch from the current table to master table, perfrom some delete operations, and swtich back - but the EXECUTE command only takes a single statement, and chaining multiple statements together in sp_executesql doesn't help either, as it treats each uniquely. I'm at a loss here, can someone suggest I can perform this operation.

thanks

Yum.

rather than switching beteen databases can you not qualify the db on the one statement
Code:
delete from db1.table1 where ....
GO
update db2.table2
set db2.table2.field1 = 'hope the switch worked'
GO
delete from db1.table1 where ....

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

no, it's the dropping of an extended stored procedure in the master database. the DROP PROCEDURE does not allow a database to be qualified, but does not work unless the selected DB is MASTER.

Any ideas?

You could do the whole drop within the EXEC:

Code:
EXEC('USE master DROP PROC proc_name')

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back