Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relink table links to the back-end when backend is password protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitzmuller

Programmer
May 7, 2004
CH
Hi out there

I have a Front-End database that contains links to tables in a password protected backend database.

The two databases reside on a server and the user start the database from there. Due to IT-restructurisation, the location where the databases are saved will change a few times.
Since the linked tables are absolute paths to the backend, I have written some VBA to relink the backend tables automatically when the frontend starts. Worked a charm, but now the backend is protected by a database password and my relinking fails.

does anybody know how i can still relink the tables in code?

Here's what I use at the moment:

Code:
Public Function RefreshLinks(dbPath As String, ReportErrors As Boolean) As Boolean
    Dim td As TableDef
    Dim fso As FileSystemObject
    Dim sField As String

On Error Resume Next
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'1) check if file exists
    fso.GetFile (dbPath)
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        If ReportErrors Then MsgBox "Fehler beim Verbinden mit der BackEnd-Datenbank."
        RefreshLinks = False
        Exit Function
    End If

'2) refresh all links
    For Each td In CurrentDb.TableDefs                  'check each table
        If Len(td.Connect) > 0 Then                     'see if its a linked table... if so then see if we can access the name property of the first field
            sField = td(0).Name
            If Err.Number <> 0 Then                     'couldnt access field, so try and reattach
                Err.Clear                               'clear error
                td.Connect = ";DATABASE=" & dbPath
                td.RefreshLink
                If Err.Number <> 0 Then
                    If ReportErrors Then MsgBox "Der Link zur Tabelle '" & td.Name & "' konnte nicht wiederhergestellt werden."
                    Err.Clear
                    RefreshLinks = False
                    Exit Function
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next td
    On Error GoTo 0
    RefreshLinks = True
End Function

Hi PHV

Thanks for the link. But it still doesn't work. I keep getting an error:

3170 Couldn't find insatallable ISAM

In the above code, i have just replaced

td.Connect = ";DATABASE=" & dbPath

with

td.Connect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & dbPath & ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password=mypwd;"

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

By the way: I am using Access 2003 (upgraded from Access 2000 about a year ago)

Hi out there

Finally got the right connection string working: instead of reconnecting the linked table to the backend I create a new linked table with this code:

Dim td As TableDef
Set td = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(TableArray(Nr), dbAttachSavePWD, TableArray(Nr), ";DATABASE=" & dbPath & ";UID=admin;PWD=" & Password)
CurrentDb.TableDefs.Append td

The database password can be used with the user "admin" to connect to the backend.

Thanks PHV for pointing me in the right direction .

Greetings Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back