Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reliable time server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beboen

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
BE
Hi,

My w2k3 forest root complains it is not set as a reliable time server. Here's what I did so far:
1. net stop w32time
2. net time /setsntp:time.windows.com (though I'm not sure this is the optimal way to do it; might be only necessary on forest root)
3. w32tm /config /reliable:yes
4. net start w32time

I found a good document on in which they also talk about a registry key ReliableTimeSource in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters but it's not in there by default. The document is for W2K and I'm using W2K3. It's hard to find some best practices on this topic.

How did you set up your domain with a reliable time source? Did you use net time /setsntp:some.time.server on your forest root? (the document says it's better not to use it on the clients because it's admin intensive) How do you make your forest root a reliable time server?

Try a different external time source. You also dont need to stop and start the service anymore in 2003.

Do this:

net time /setsntp:time.nist.gov
w32tm /config /update
w32tm /resync /rediscover /nowait

Check the logs for w32time errors and post back if you get any.

The only machine (DC, member server, client, whatever) you should do this on is the PDC emulator in the root domain. If you type net time /querysntp on ANY other machine in the forest, it should say it is not configured.

I still have the same error:

Time Provider NtpClient: This machine is configured to use the domain hierarchy to determine its time source, but it is the PDC emulator for the domain at the root of the forest, so there is no machine above it in the domain hierarchy to use as a time source. It is recommended that you either configure a reliable time service in the root domain, or manually configure the PDC to synchronize with an external time source. Otherwise, this machine will function as the authoritative time source in the domain hierarchy. If an external time source is not configured or used for this computer, you may choose to disable the NtpClient.

it says time.windows.com

ps: I've read in a technet article it should say time.server.com,0x1. Though I've never found what the 0x1 is for and without it it works fine too.

Run the commands I posted above and then check again. It should say time.nist.gov.

hmm, so far I haven't received a warning yet. Strange, because actually does it matter which time server you get the time from? time.nist.gov has given problems before when I used it (something "invalid time format")

why the 0x1 tag which some technet/kb articles talk about?

Not sure about the 0x1. I've had problems with time.windows.com before, so I always use time.nist.gov

Other good ones are tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil.

Have a look here:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back