Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reliability of Sam Sung hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedoss

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have a IBM hard drive that is going out on me less (than a year old). Has anyone had any expeience with Sam Sung hard drives?

I have used many Samsung drives and have found them to be very reliable but try the following link for reviews etc.

Always look for reviews of any product, manufacturers sometimes get bad batches or just plain get it wrong.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Sorry !!! I keep doing this the link !

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks johnodq it sound like they are a good drive the only thing is the one I have found advertised (40GB EId 7200 rpm SP4002H) but Samsung does not list a 7200 rpm drive. They list a SV4002H 5400 rpm I don't know if this is a misprint or what. Thanks anyway

Doss

Sorry about that I did find the SP4002H 7200 rpm drive. I may try one of those.

Doss

Samsung aren't terrible, better than fujitsu at least, but I have never found them to be as good as WD/maxtor/IBM.

Of course this could very easily be luck of the draw, and with ever new model comes a different level of reliablity.

Has anyone thought that the higher rpms on these drives are the cause of the problems with them? Just a thought.

Doss

On the contrary, the faster 7,200 drives tend to be intended for high end desktop and are better made, we have fewer 7,200 drives returned proportionally than 5,400's.
Samsung tend to be a bit of a budget choice, most are 5,400rpm drives, if you want reliability and not necessarily the fastest speed then I would recommend the Seagate Barracuda series (not the U5 or U6 which are the budget 5,400's from Seagate)
In terms of our returns, these drives are the most reliable when compared to IBM, Maxtor and WD. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I see that Samsung still has a 3 year warranty and the rest that I have checked out only have 1 year. Has anyone had to get a rma on these?

Doss

I have not requested an RMA from Samsung for a SP-4002H, but I have a candidate. The drive is no longer visisble in Win2K. I found this forum looking for ideas on data recovery that don't cost a fortune. Checking Samsung web site indicates that warranty remedy is limited to replacement. Since I am more interested in the data than the drive value ($60) returning the drive to Samsung is not an option.

The drive was about 6 months old running 24/7 until it died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back