Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relevance of A+ Cert in my position 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteer

MIS
Apr 8, 2010
GB
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to gather others opinions on my thoughts of whether to bother with the A+ certification at my stage.

IT Background: BSc(Computer Science), MCP: Server 2003 Admin, 6-7 years commercial experience in server/network planning, install and support. Been building/taking machines to bits for 15 years+.

Current Situation: In Canada for a year on a working holiday, wife has a job, I'm doing some contracting.

I'm about to take the Network+ cert in the next month, just run through a couple of revision books as have got the experience just brushing up on some of the items I've not necessarily touched on recently.

Reason for the Network+ is to tick the box on the CV/resume, I've got the experience but not the "tick he's got that thing" and a lot of jobs I'm seeing advertised are after a CompTIA cert of some variety.

Now I was thinking of tagging the A+ cert on as well, might as well get it before I'm forced to have to recert it, but it runs to £220 ($336) for both exams. Now I'm not sure if it's really worth it considering the line up on the CV is BSc, MCP (soon to be MCSA and then on to the MCTS/MCITP upgrades) and Network+.

What do you think? Worth bothering with the A+?

Also considering the Server+ & Security+ (as a stepping stone to CEH later).

BSc, MCP, MBCS

Personally I don't think that it's worth it. But professionally...well, that depends on whether employers are asking you for it and whether it has become a barrier to entry for you. Some places are very strict about having certifications for contractors. For example, the state where I live will frequently list A+ as a requirement on almost any IT contract, even if they're looking for an Exchange or AD administrator, and if you don't meet 100% of the written requirements then you are removed from consideration, regardless of your level of experience or the requirement's relativity to the job. That's why I have it.

All that said, keep in mind that some CompTIA certs can be counted as electives on the MCSA and MCSE track. I know that Security+ counts as an elective towards MCSE, MCSA and the Security specialization for each. Also, having both the A+ and Network+ together will count as one elective towards the MCSE and MCSA.

So there could be some additional benefit to earning the certification.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Cheers kmcferrin.

Electronically fitting 100% of the requirements doesn't follow common sense but there appears to be a lack of that these days!

Think I'll take it before December this year to ensure that box is ticked for the future.

Handily just landed a job yesterday!

BSc, MCP, MBCS

Congrats!

I usually find that the "must match 100% of the requirements" mindset comes from the government sector. I think that it has to do with the way that procurement regulations are written, intended to ensure that a vendor delivers exactly what the taxpayers are asking and paying for. From that perspective it makes perfect sense when you're dealing with widgets and services, but markedly less so when dealing with people.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003

Personally speaking I wouldn't bother, usually the A+ is seen as the entry level cert, if you already have an MCP or two and a few years worth of experience on the cv then that's usually good enough.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Well with my recent experience i have 8 years of experience and some Microsoft certifications so when i was laid off i thought it would be a little bit easier to find job. I was wrong i lost 8 jobs because they required an A+. i'm in the situation you are in it sucks that you know everything thats going to be on the test and you have real world experience but you don't comptia piece of paper so you can't work for some company. i say do the tests just as a safety net it might help and even if it doesn't once you find a job you can make back the testing fees pretty quickly.

MCSA
MCITP:Enterprise Support
MCTS: Vista Config
MCDST
MCP
Network+ 2009

CERTS ARE GREAT FOR GETTING YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR, HOWEVER, OJT AND WORK ETHIC WILL GO A LOT FURTHER, I AM SURROUNDED BY A+ AND MCSE AT THE HELPDESK HERE AND THAT DOES NOT MAKE A GOOD TECH, I DO TWICE SOMETIMES THREE TIMES THE WORK AND AM CALLED UPON FIRST TO GO FIX THIS OR THAT,

You might want to investigate your keyboard. It appears that the CAPS LOCK key is broken.

MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2

Yep the caps lock problem is hard to fix.... Lol

MCSA
MCITP:Enterprise Support
MCTS: Vista Config
MCDST
MCP
Network+ 2009

I think that entry level certs are OK to pursue even if you have a significant amount of experience. The reason being is most recruiters use some sort of database that does keyword scans on resumes anyway. You might get hits for lots of jobs that you would probably never work but at least it gives your resume higher visibility in the market.

Terry Odom, A+ Network+ Security+
Network Administrator
DoD Security Clearance

Along with what Terry Odom brought up, the same is true for the HR reps, they might be screening based on certs, especially if they have several hundred people appling for the openning - manager might say just setup interviews with those that have these certs ......

The HR person may have no tech background - Burt over in the Cisco forum once posted that he did not get an interview with an HR clerk because he was NOT Net +, but he WAS a CCNP :)

I saw where an IT position at a rental car agency drew over 500 apps - they have to screen and cut that number down some way!!!!

Just some thoughts !!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Just got an email notification of a reply.

For reference the Network+ was passed, the A+ exams are booked for 6th Nov and the Security+ exam is to be booked for 1st/2nd weekend in Dec.

Decided it was worth sitting the exams to make sure I do get through the HR departments in the future.

BSc, MCP, MBCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back