Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relaying with Exchange on an NT Server with Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonniago

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
US
The President of my company is in LA, i am here in NJ.
He is attempting to use his laptop to send mail. Mail comes through to our Outlook just fine. He cannot send an Email to anyone residing outside our companies resources.
I did a simulation of a setup in Outlook Express, setting POP3 and SMTP up and checked the required check marks.
I do not know if our provider allows relaying. Does Exchange allow relaying. Please advise if there is a way for him to do this? If you need more info, just let me know. Thanks YB

Open the properties for the "Internet Mail Service", select the "Routing" tab, and then the "Routing Restrictions" button.
Check the "Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate" checkbox.

Also, if your boss (or other employees) connects through some trusted network with permanent IP addresses, you may want to limit relaying to hosts from that IP range.

I also think you need to upgrade Exchange Server to at least SP2 for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back