Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relaying Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

billm312

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2002
US
I have Exchange Server 5.5 on Win NT SP5. We had an open relay on the server before I started working here. Someone started spamming through it, so I closed the relay. Now, I have remote users on dial up that can no longer send mail. The only way I have been able to figure out is to get them a dial up account and use the SMTP server from the ISP. A lot of ISP's don't allow this or are stopping it. We use Citrix Metaframe, but it is too slow on dial up and does not allow the users to work on mail offline. I know there has to be a solution. There are way too many companies out there that have remote users. Can anyone help me with some suggestions?

Hi,

have you got the internet mail service connector on your site? if you set this up your remote clients will dial up and then by typing in name/exchange they should be able to come in and log on to their account.

hope this helps.

Jim

Hi,

Endure the exchange server is service packed - this will allow for relay restrictions. By default, dent all relaying.

On the relay tab, allow all the domains (probably just the one) of your site - this will allow external sites to route mail to your server.

Next open restrictions using rules to best define the situation. For internal network clients and also the remote users you are after - allow relaying afther authentication. Internally, this will be allowed when the users have logged on, for the external users, they will be OK once they have authenticated to downlaod POP or IMAP mail.

Further, you may have a situation like non-MS internal clients or local applications that need to send mail and don't have Nt authentication capabilities, in this case you could allow routing for the internal IP subnet addresses.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back