Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relaying mail from internal exchange server to internet mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2jesus

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
Hi all,

I've got a new exchange 2003 server, and I am trying to use it to server internal mail, but also allow clients to forward email through it to the internet mail server. (our email is hosted by our isp) I have set up the virtual smtp server and it will forward the mail. The problem is that the forwarded mail has our internal email address and not our real internet email address. ie. jim@company.local instead of jim@mycompany.com.

The problem this causes is people cannot not reply to us because the local network can't be found.

How do I set this up, or is it not possible?

Thanks for all replies,

Jim

Modify the default recipient policy to reflect the correct e-mail domain. We have removed the .local and just added the real domain.

Thanks for the info. That fixed the problem.
Another question.
Do I use the pop3 connector to download the mail from the server, or does smtp do that as well?

pop3 is for downloading mails to a local pst file on your pc. smtp is for sending. If you use Outlook and connecting to exchange with MAPI the mail will stay on the exchange server so you can access the mails if you log on to different computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back