Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relay Problems......stupid spam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
Greetings. I have tried over and over and over to keep our email server from being used as an OPEN RELAY. Spammers use our server as a relay point. We have received word from ORBS that our server is a spammer. Anyway, I have tried the MICROSOFT way of blocking relaying by choosing the "routing" tab on the IMC, choosing the "reroute incoming SMTP mail (required for POP3/IMAP4)" option, setting up domain.com as "inbound", and clicking the "routing restrictions" command button and choosing "hosts and clients with these ip addresses" check box (there is no entry in here---M$ recommended). Anyway, I restarted IMC over and over and over and still fail the ORBS relay test. What the heck is going on?! I read somewhere that there were some registry edits, but don't remember. Let me give you a little background on my set up to help with diagnosis. We have a firewall server w/ public ip and private ip(192.168.0.2) (two nics). Behind that we have the mail server with another private IP (192.168.0.1) Can someone help me?? Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Suggest you turn OFF the reroute. This will stop you being used as a router. Most Exch servers do not need to be routers.

Why do you think it should be on?

Cause I can't get mail otherwise.

Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Let me give you a little background on my set up to help with diagnosis....

What version of Exchange? Service Packs.

Patrick

Have you tried turning off the Exchange rerouting? I don't see why it would stop your email working.

Exchange rerouting turned off doesn't work. I can still send mail when it's off, but can't receive it. There is a "relaying denied" return message to the sender when it's off (relaying).

I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 installed.

Here's a simple diagram of what I have.

<ISP MX Records DNS>virtual domain |
|
<firewall>192.0.0.2 nic and 209.16.245.179 public nic
-
|-----------------<mail server>192.0.0.1 domain.com
|
<private net>192.0.0.0;255.255.255.0 Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

yes Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Hello. Just joined. Following your conversation. From what I've learnt, telling exchange to not reroute is actually less secure than telling it to reroute incoming mail, and specifying the restrictions - specifying no IP addresses under &quot;hosts and clients with these IP addresses&quot;.

I did this to our server about a month ago and it seemed to fix the problem - at least with MAPS ( Have you checked if you are registered on MAPS. Maybe ORBS is getting it from there?

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Stevos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back