Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relative hyperlinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

merced320

Programmer
Aug 23, 2007
US
Is there a way to implement relative hyperlinks in a Word document, in order to link word documents in Livelink?

using webdav links you may accomplish the same.for eg URLS in livelink is of the nature http:\\servername\virtualdirectory\livelink.exe?func=ll&objid=1234&objaction=edit etc etc.when you put the webdav module in livelink the same object can be made to reference such as a unc share or network neighbourhood.However this assumes that the link user has the same permissions etc to make this seamless.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

There is a setting useRelativeLinks or similar to be set in the opentext.ini somewhere, just go to the Open Text Knowledge Site. This is a standard feature and important for different scenarios.

No need to mess around with WebDAV links or other fancy stuff.

A side effect are of course the permissions, not a good idea to link documents that have different permission sets.

I have taken the path of exploring a viable directive/parameter in the opentext.ini file. What I have found is the directive - relativeLinkMimeTypes=text/html, application/pdf. The explanation for this directive/parameters is - when opening documents of a MIME type contained in this parameter, Livelink translates relative links within the document to other files so that clicking a relative link will fetch the proper item, provided the referenced item is also stored in Livelink.

I think I'm at the point of trying to figure out what URL to capture of my renditioned documents. And of course, I'm struggling to find a easy method that would not require my users to do a total revamping of the current hyperlinks in place. But, as you read on, this may not be a reality.

Still open to suggestions...in the interim, here is a better explanation of my situation.

1. Everyone in our org - we have 10 business units geographically dispersed globally - is using absolute hyperlinks to link word documents by going to Properties | General | Nickname and capturing the 'Short Links > Copy the "Open" short link' - which renders:
2. At my location, the Word documents are automatically renditioned to pdf. It is the renditioned 'pdf' that users are allowed to view, and thus we capture the pdf short link, after downloading the pdf and uploading the pdf to a public area.

3. This 'short link' can be changed from an absolute to a relative hyperlink, but won't work due to the automatic rendition process. Yet, if you manually push the rendition process the relative hyperlink works. Alas, this is not a solution for us due to the sheer volume of documents.

4. Thus, this is the current url syntax of a renditioned word document to pdf -
5. The pdf documents are referenced by the Livelink item URL. If I open this URL and capture the url that points to the pdf documents, change this url to a relative, then the relative url functionality works with automatic renditioning.

6. Thus, the url syntax of the URL item referencing the pdf documents:
7. I change this to a relative url and delete the ‘&vernum=xxx’:
8. Of course this is quite cumbersome, but once put in place you never have to go back and deal with the hyperlink.

LiveLink Pro,
Thank you for clarifying the parameter that needed to be added to the opentext.ini file.

I have finally achieved success with relative hyperlinking.

I have derived two methods of relative hyperlinking
1.Capture the actual URL of the document, for example….
1.2 Convert to Relative
/fetch/2000/145178/219531/221491/test_01.pdf?nodeid=612147

OR
2.Capture the nodeId of the actual document – 612147, insert the nodeId in the following syntax, for example…
/livelink/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=612147&objAction=Open

Do you have an opinion of what is the best method?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :)

Status
Not open for further replies.