Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relationships...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcaple

Instructor
Feb 18, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to create a relationship between Access and Excel? In Excel I have a column of numbers (PupilID), and next to each number is another number, under the heading DetentionCount. I want the DetentionCount number in the spreadsheet to appear in the DetentionCount field in my access database that corresponds with the PupilID (used as the primary key for each record).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jamie Caple.

Have you tried using the 'Linked tables' option? (go to 'File' > 'Get External data' > 'Link tables...'

Unfortunately you can only link database files this way, not spreadsheets :( Thanks anyway though.

Hi Jamie!

Actually you can link spreadsheets also. You need to click the Files by Type and choose Microsoft Excel. What this will do is make the Excel sheet show up as a table in your database which you can use in queries and reports just like any other table. What it won't do is store the information in your table which already exists in your database.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Sorry FuzzyBear9 and jebry. I just tried it again and this time noticed it said that not all file types are installed normally, so must be added from the CD-ROM. Sorry I didnt see this before.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back