Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relationship between XP and Fox 2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecdn

Programmer
Oct 28, 2003
CA
We have a Fox 2.6 system that is being run off each of our XP Professional workstations. Every once in a while there seems to be certain users who complain that the system is running very slow. For example, when you select a menu item, it takes forever to display the screen. It doesn't happen with everyone, only certain individuals and it's sporadic (sp?). We checked everything H/W, the computer, the connection, the cable itself, we even ran a defrag on the computers and the server, it still doesn't solve the problem. My question is, has anyone come up with the similar problem and if so is there anything that can be done? Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Virus scanner interfering?
Screen saver on the server kicking in ans hoovering up CPU cycles (use blank screen saver or logon saver, not the 3D ones)
Any HP PCL6 printer drivers installed? Some of them have memory leaks.
There's an MS KB article on disabling SMB signing with XP clients, I've seen this speed things up a *huge* amount.
If you have other protocols like IPX/SPX in use check the binding order and unbind everything except TCP/IP from the windows networking components.

Need help running those old FoxPro apps on modern systems?

We do have an HP PCL6 printer installed, but if you re-boot, won't that clear away the memory leak? If not, how can we check it?

I'll check on the MS knowledgebase.

Thanks for your help.

One more question, do you know what the name of that article is? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Regarding the PCL versions, PCL6 had a number of issues when it first came out and so PCL5e was released. I'm not sure if the issues with 6 have been ironed out or if it was compatibility issues with older hardware. So as far as I'm concerned PCL 5e is better than 5 and more solid than 6.

We tried both PS and 6 versions but sometimes letters were missing from the text when using 6, and PS seemed to send huge print jobs. Now we use 5e with good results.

dbMark

hi my friend we are having problem with the foxprow 2.6 and windows XP, we have already installed it on one of the workstations but when try to execute it doesn´t get in, but this message System Error appears: Zero Division or overflow.we have already tried changing the executing environment but this doesn´t work. I´ll be gratefull to know how to solve this as soon as possible. We are a Distance university students, located in Venezuela

to s82024952
Please read 182-473588 which offers a solution to the problem.
Or simply search for Divide by Zero in the Keyword search tab on top of this page.

you can do 2 things:

1. go to and take a 30 days trial program to 100% solve your problem (+printing problems +...), or

2. rightclick on each foxpro 26 program icon, "properties" - "misc" and put "idle sensitivity" to high. You can also try Windows 98 (or 95) compatibility.

Try putting MEMLIMIT=60,2048,15360 in your CONFIG.FP file, or otherwise limit FPD's use of memory to 16mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back