Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relating Data in a MAil Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetrep

Technical User
Feb 2, 2012
US
I need to create a mail merge so that only one letter is populated for every person, even though there may be multiple bits of info or just one single bit of info. Currently, I have to delete the letter and copy and paste into the single letter the info that i need. Thank you for any help.

hi,

Please explain what these bits of data refer to.

Do you mean multiple rows for each person?

What kind of list? Word table, Excel, Access??

What version Word?

Please answer all questions.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

I am contacting landowners and some own one tract of land and others own say 5 tracts. I do not want to write the guy who owns 5 tracts 5 letters, I just want one letter with the five tracts listed. I think this responds to your first two questions?

I have the data in Access and am exporting it to excel, bc I find it a little cumbersome from access. But I can use either.

And it is word 2007.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Joe

I have the data in Access and am exporting it to excel,
Do NOT export! Rather query your MS Access db in Excel to return one row per landowner, using Excel as the data source for your MailMerge.

Skip,
[sub]

That is what I am doing currently. I am just not sure how to get it to not print 5 letters for someone owning 5 tracts of land and to print 1 with the 5 tracts of land. Any thoughts?

Post the SQL from your query in Excel, Please.

Skip,
[sub]

SELECT Tbl_RealEstate.PRIMARYKEY, Tbl_RealEstate.Permit_ID, Tbl_RealEstate.PARCELID, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILNAME1, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILNAME2, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILADD1, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILADD2, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILCITY, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILSTATE, Tbl_RealEstate.MAILZIP, Tbl_RealEstate.TWP, Tbl_RealEstate.RNG, Tbl_RealEstate.SEC, Tbl_RealEstate.Exclude, Tbl_RealEstate.LEGALDESCR, Tbl_RealEstate.LEGALACRES
FROM Tbl_RealEstate
WHERE (((Tbl_RealEstate.TWP)=16) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.RNG)=56) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.SEC) Between 5 And 8 Or (Tbl_RealEstate.SEC)=17 Or (Tbl_RealEstate.SEC)=18) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.Exclude)=No)) OR (((Tbl_RealEstate.TWP)=16) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.RNG)=57) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.SEC) Between 1 And 3 Or (Tbl_RealEstate.SEC) Between 10 And 15)) OR (((Tbl_RealEstate.TWP)=17) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.RNG)=56) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.SEC) Between 27 And 34)) OR (((Tbl_RealEstate.TWP)=17) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.RNG)=57) AND ((Tbl_RealEstate.SEC)=25 Or (Tbl_RealEstate.SEC)=36))
ORDER BY Tbl_RealEstate.TWP DESC , Tbl_RealEstate.RNG DESC , Tbl_RealEstate.SEC DESC;

What are the data elements that you need for each letter?

I would delete all other fields from your query and start your select clause with
Code:
Select Distinct

Skip,
[sub]

Hi joetrep,

You can use Word's Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge facility for this (the terminology depends on the Word version). To see how to do so with any mailmerge data source supported by Word, check out my Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial at:
or
The tutorial covers everything from list creation to the insertion & calculation of values in multi-record tables in letters. Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included with it.

For a recent, worked example, see the attachment to post #13 at:
Alternatively, you may want to try the Many to One utility on the MergeTools Add-in that you can download from the following page of Doug Robbins' Windows Live SkyDrive:

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Since your information is already in Access, why not bypass Word altogether and build an Access report in letter format that will allow you to insert your fields as needed.

The multiple tracts issue would be easily handled within the Detail section of the report, and the Header section would take care of the Letterhead, owner name and address, and body of the letter.

The Footer section could handle closing information, signature, etc.

I use this type layout for follow-up on past-due accounts which details the varying number of past-due invoices for each customer, and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back