Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rel 4 VM Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwilson12379

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
NOt sure where this lies, but reminds me of a VM bug in Admin 3.2 (2nd release I think).

Client has 76 5610s on a IP500. All was great, but now they claim that VM is resetting passwords randomly to certain random users. Have a ticket with Aavya open, but wanted to ask if anyone else has this problem or heard of it.

Manager is not being left open w/ a config. VM is on a solid server. Gigabit LAN. VM is on the latest 4.x release.

Any others experience this or heard of this?

1st step eliminate user error

is someone on site making changes to an old cfg?

if the system config is being left open for any period of time befor changes are made then it could easily be over wrighting changes made by the user

educate on site Administrators that they should alwasy get a fresh copy of the cfg before making changes

to compliment what retsila said, you can always go the the audit trail and see if anyone has made any changess.

Do they administer the system themselves at times and use different Manager oon different workstations? I had an issue like that and they were writing over the changes that were made.

No administration on site. VM system w/ manager locked up in server room. One person has access. He addded a user, but did a merge and closed the manager app down immediately following (he says). I am beginning to wonder though.

If he made a changes during the period when a user changed his password, there is a chance he wrote over the changed password while his Mansger was open and wrote the old password to the database. This has happened to me.

that is why you always have to pull the config and change that config
never ever ever ever use a config that is saved on your harddisk
this is only a backup

Go to all the machines that have the manager software either installed or the software install files not yet installed.

Uninstall manager from every PC, delete the software install files, and any zipped install files if you bring them over the the PC that way.

Tell the customer that you need to take it off temporarily, and will return to reinstall later. Also, tell him that you made a change you feel will fix it, and ask him to monitor it. When he is satisfied the issue is fixed, go back and install the manager again. If the issue is not resolved when he calls then look for something other than user error. You do not have to tell him the thing you changed was taking his ability to change the PW's via manager away.

Another option is change the setting in manager so it will not open the CFG.

Also, turn off remote desktop access to the machine with manager on it is another good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back