Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel99mp

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
US
I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP; however, I'm having an issue I hope someone can help me out with.

After inserting my OEM Windows XP disk I followed the on screen prompts to reinstall Windows. After a few questions my system rebooted to begin the reinstall. During the boot process it asked me to select whether I wanted to run Windows Setup or Windows Home Edition. I selected the Setup, which was followed by a blue screen. In the upper left hand corner of my screen it said Windows Setup and nothing further happens from this point. After 30 or so minutes I get the blue screen of death which forces me to turn my computer off and then on again. I have noticed that during the Windows Setup screen my 3.5" drive light comes and stays on.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can do to solve this problem?

daniel99mp,

To get any type of good answer to this you will need to provide all information about your system.

As OEM's each implement their own scheme for MS Win-xx you have not provided enough information to start to determine what problem you have.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

If it's an HP/Compaq system and you change the hard drive at the same time as the MB, you'd have to "tatoo" the system to the drive. Try running the other option to see if you have better luck. If it runs, just put in the CD and reinstall, but wipe the old drive(s).

-David
2006 Microsoft Valued Professional (MVP)

Some PC's have "known" issues when installing XP. Does your OEM CD include the SP2 patch? I had the same problem once on a PC and had to make a CD that had the EOM software AND the SP2 patch.

Good Luck.

My system specs are:

Manufacturer: AlienWare
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: ASUSTek K8V
Memory: Two Banks of 512MB Memory Sticks
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce FX 5700 Ultra
Hard Drive: C: 2+0 Stripe/RAID) SCSI Disk Drive
D: ST380013 AS SCSI Disk Drive

Are you loading the SCSI drivers at the beginning of the install process by pressing F6 and inserting the driver disc?

No. I just inserted the Windows CD and I followed the prompts until it rebooted me and it went into the Windows Setup screen in which it freezes.

Sounds like that's the problem. If I'm not mistaken, you have to load the scsi drivers in the beginning when it asks you if you need to load any third party drivers. Otherwise by default it just loads the IDE drivers and it won't recognize your hard drive without the scsi drivers. I think you'll have to load the raid drivers also. You should have a cd that came with the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back