Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Windows XP over "Pirated Edition" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlynn9

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have been using Windows XP professional on a computer I built since late June, without problems. When I went to the Windows XP update site to obstain the XP Serive Pack #1 I received a message that the key was invalid and that the edition I installed on my computer was likely to be pirated. I have since purchased a valid edition of Windows XP Professional but am not sure whether it actually needs to be installed or whether I just have to call Microsoft with the valid key. If I need to install it can I do so without losing all my settings, and will the installation from the new, purchased CD "validate" the operating system?

This is taken from the following link listed below:

What happens to a customer who tries to install SP1 onto a Windows XP install made with one of these pirated keys? Are there any exceptions to this?
They will be unable to install the update until they have acquired genuine software and installed that software with a valid product key. Nothing will happen to their underlying Windows XP installation. Access to upgrades and service releases is a benefit that Microsoft offers to those who have acquired and use genuine Microsoft products only. There are no exceptions to this.

What should a customer do if they find they unwittingly acquired a pirated copy of Windows XP? How can a customer acquire a legitimate license for Windows XP if they find that theirs is pirated?
The customer should go back to the point of purchase and demand a refund or a genuine copy of Windows XP. Customers can also contact Microsoft directly at and report the piracy.

Customers can acquire a legitimate copy of Windows XP from a trusted retailer or PC manufacturer.

Here's a link of all the details you could want on Microsoft's Activation feature:

Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

If you do a repair reinstall & enter correct key during that you should be ok (it preserves your data, programs and settings). Boot from XP install CD, continue as for new install - it should find existing installation and ask if you want to repair it - select R to repair & continue as normal supplying the correct key when prompted.

PS. There are 'key changer' programs out on the net - you could try Google or one of the peer networks to find one.

run regedit goto
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\current version click on wpaevents then double click on oobetimer and delete at least one digit.
then goto start run and enter this command
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
and select activate over phone this should bring up the place to input the new code.
reboot
This is for corporate versions. i used to have the M$ article but cant find it right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back