Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Windows 98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkhera

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
It appears that some of my Win 98 (SE) files like winipcfg.exe got corrupt with a virus. Most of the PC functions are working fine. Sometimes it creates problems. Do I have to reinstall Win 98 or is there another way to fix the problem? I have already tried using Systems Information under Accessories and trying to fix the files. And, if I reinstall Win 98, will I lose all my data files and other applications?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Hi,

You can re-install windows overtop of itself without losing your data. See FAQ748-1599 (the first part of that, where it says "Dirty-Re-Install of windows". This is in the Windows ME forum but it will work for you.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Reinstalling Windows will only overwrite it's system files, not wipe your other files/data.
However, if you really do think a virus may have caused this damage, then reinstalling Windows probably won't get rid of the infection, either, and you may end up with damaged system files once again.
I suggest you get a thorough virus scan, and be sure your system is clean before reinstalling.

What do you mean by corrupt and what virus was it? Are you getting an error when trying to run some of those programs and if so what does it say?

Hi Kento

It was the mtx virus. I had used Norton to clean up the virus files but it couldn't clean some of the files. For the most part, PC is working fine. One problem I had was that from within AOL, I can't connect to a browser. Also, the Windows doesn't always load properly. It hangs and freezes, requiring me to unplug and plug the power cable to restart it.

Thanks

Hi,

Boot into Safe Mode (pres F8 while starting up), then do a full scandisk and defrag to help your loading problems.

See if that will help you out.

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back