Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjh1

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
GB
I have a server that has died on me so I need to resinstall Windows on it. The server has several partitions on it which are still intact, I can see them when I am in the recovery console. The problem is that there is some information on the C: partition which I really need. I cant get to the c:\ in the recovery console so I cant get to it to copy it to another partition.

My question is: If I reinstall Windows on the c: partition will it want to format the partition first or will it just copy the files over the top of whats there. If it just copies the files the directory I want will the directory I want still be there after the install?

Thanks,

Caroline

spool,

Thanks for this info, I have been tearing my hair out trying to get this data off this server. I will give this a go.

Cheers,

Caroline

Alternatively you could try third party recovery software. I have great experiances with Winternals Admin pack: remote recover.
It lets you boot the server from created flop, connects andother computer through TCP/IP with the server and you can mount it's harddisk as a "local disk" on your computer and transfer data from the server to the pc you use. (or any networkdrive accessable from that machine)
Have fun playing around... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back