Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling W2K Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmithind

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
What is the best way to "reinstall" W2K Exchange Server?

The situation is:

W2K Exchange Server is already installed on a Pentium 200MHz computer, integrated with Active Directory on another W2K Server machine. I'm having problems with the Exchange Server rebooting or freezing which I am attributing to it being a slow computer and the 8GB hard drive being nearly filled to capacity.

Some ideas in my head are:

1. Can I just ghost the drive (or back it up) and restore it to a higher-capacity hard drive into a faster machine? Or is that an unrealistic option because I'd be changing it's HAL so dramatically and W2K Server doesn't like that much (it requires running Setup again for the operating system I guess.)

2. Can I do a fresh install on a different machine (with more horsepower)? Should I uninstall the old Exchange Server first before reintroducing the machine to the domain controller?

Thanks

Leave existing setup alone, setup and introduce new exchange server into the site and move all the mailboxes/folders onto the new server. if all goes well delete the old server from the site.

Good luck! 01110000

Hi,

at first you have to backup the systemstat and Exchange database may be Full drive backup. if you have got all these ready. Follow these steps:
1. configure your replacement hardware.
2. Create a set of logical drives to mach your previos server configuration.
3. reinstall the same version of win2k (don't forget SP)you hat previously installed as a standalone server to the same drives and path as the original server was installd, and use the same server names as before.
4. restor the full drive backups and systemstat backups ( macke sure your DC is already rebooted, restord, and available on the network.

5. reinstall Exchange 2k server using /disasterrecovery switch.

6. restor the exchange2k server databases, including all storage Groups; run the transaction logs( restor TO original path)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back