Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling My Hard Drive, I deleted it by mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraloca

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
CA
Hi, I was installing a dvd burner from another pc to this one, so I decide to remove all the cdroms and drives in the device properties and leave only this dvd burner.
I close my pc and when I try to start win xp i can not . i guess one of those drivers was my HD.
it just said 'wait" then it said that my drives are not atp compatible, then tell me to press "home", i do that and it start to count up to 50 and then restart.
Before also when I just to start my pc I had a chance to enter my bios but not anymore.
I guess i have to get in the bios to make my motherboard recognize my Hd, right?, but how can I get there now or what should I do?.
I have an amd duron 1300mhz, 1012mb, win xp pro.
Any idea?.

I would go into deep detail about this, but i'm sleepy...so...

Put everything back exactly the way you had it.
Make sure the HD is set to master and is set as a bootable drive in the bios.
Make sure the DVD Burner is not set to master.

All in all the HD should be on IDE1 channel
DVD Burner should be on IDE2 Channel or the slave on the master channel.

I decide to remove all the cdroms and drives in the device properties and leave only this dvd burner"

why did u do that?

2 get into your bios u have 2 reset it. remove power cable, take out the cmos battery, reset cmos (jumper on mainboard, check manual), leave it for a minute, jumper back 2 normal and reeboot. the bios should come up now.

make sure the bios setting´s are ok (i recommend 2 set the default settings for now), i.e. drives, devices, memory,.... then reboot.

when xp still doesnt start boot from cd and do a repair.

Hi, I fixed already.
I let the hd by itself and I was able to go in the bios setup, there I saw that the hd was not detected so I press f3 to detect it and it did, then I saved and exit and close my pc, then I made the mistake to put the dvd in the second ide as master, so when I started my pc it did not detected my hd again just the dvd, so I now put both (HD and DVD) in the same IDE. I run the bios again and press f3 again and now it recognized both.
It was such a simple thing, I was thinking that it was better to put both in separate ide's, "HEY!! TWO MASTERS" I mean it sounds better, but i guess pcs are like real life you can have only bosses.
So that is what started all my problems, thinking like in an utopia where all were equals.
I better stop writing this.
thank you for your help and time

This has to do with Drive Cables, the jumpers on the drives and maybe the BIOS. Might try cable select for the jumpers.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back