Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
I restarted the IIS service in exchange and it seems to have corrupted my IIS metabase.. not good. So I uninstalled IIS and then moved my storage groups to another location and went to setup for exchange and selected reinstall and received the following error.

The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "reinstall" because:
-Setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active Directory. The error was:
-Failed to look up the Windows site to which this computer belongs. Please verify that your computer and the domain controller designated as the schema master use the same preferred dns server; that your computer is configured with the correct site information and is in a windows domain where the domain controller is reachable.

Ok, so as far as I can tell I'm having AD issues concerning my exchange server. I tried the following;
-Disabled all the exchange services for the exchange server. Removed it from the domain and readded it. Restarted the services that would start. Tried to reinstall it and still received the above error.

-I then went into system manager and selected the directory access tab unclicked the automatic discovery for the domain controller and global catalog servers. I added my GC's and then when I went to add the DC's I received the following error:
-No site name is available for this machine.
Facility:Win32
ID no:c007077F
Exchange System Manager

Thanks in advance.

I found the problem.. it would appear that another technician created a second site on the domain.. so after the deletion of the uneeded site everything worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back