Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling DNS for whole domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi Guys, i have a dns issue with my 2003 domain. I'm not sure what's wrong as everything looks ok but it doesn't if you know what i mean.

DNS is cached in AD so if i uninstall DNS from my DNS servers and reinstall DNS will it pick up the same settings? ideally i'd like to start from fresh but without having to rebuild my whole AD structure.

Any advice?

Thanks
Paul

Thanks for these links Dave. I'll give them a bash and get back if i have any questions.

Thanks very much for your help with this one!

Paul

Ok i've just deleted the reverse lookup zone and recreated it. it still looks exactly the same and nslookup gives the same results.

Why does the name of my reverse zone look like 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa when other reverse zones on other domains i have access to look like 192.168.0.x subnet ???

Thanks

When youre creating a new reverse lookup zone you are able to specify a name or use the default selection and enter the network ID. The ones you are seeing that seem odd to you could very well have been created using the second of the two options. What is weird is that if your dc/dns server is listed in the appropriate in-addr.arpa zone and your client machine is pointing to this for its dns server, when you do a nslookup it should use the record it fines that correlates with your dns server such as the 2 record that you may have referenced, and then return the results for that record to your cmd prompt window instead of the

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.2: non-existent domain

... in any case, good luck.

Cory

well things have develoged. I installed DNS on the other DC and when i do an nslookup (using this new dns server) it all looks and feels fine. So possibly there's something wrong with the DNS install on my first DC. i'll reinstall it over the weekend if i get time and see what happens.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back