Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstalled system with different username 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillC

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
AU
I'm having trouble with this pc so reinstalled XP Pro as a fresh install but didn't format the drive. I couldn't remember what name I gave the computer the first time round so I called it Office. Then set up a user called Julia. I was just about to transfer all the files from my backup drive when I realised that the computer now has a folder in Document and Settings called Julia and another one called Julia.OFFICE which has no data files and is the default settings on startup. All the data files are still sitting their in the other folder.

Should I scrub this drive and start again? Or if I just transfer all the files into the second folder, can I delete the first?

I'm realising that I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!

Should I scrub this drive and start again? Or if I just transfer all the files into the second folder, can I delete the first?

From my experience, you can transfer the data without any problem, and then delete the Julia user folder, but leave the Julia.Office intact, as that is the correct user on the system...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back