Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstallation of 98 fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
The computer i'm running started generating alot of GPF errors, specifically msgr32, kernell32, winoldapp and explorer.exe. The OS it was running was 98SE. After ensuring all data was saved i began a reinstallation of the OS. I reformatted the drive and placed a 98SE startup disk to boot from. I told it to run with CD support. After it reached the command prompt i started the setup from CD. It ran a scan of the drive and then i pressed X to initiate the startup. However, all it did was go back to the command prompt and sit there. I rebooted and tried a couple of different things but the installation didn't initiate. My guess is a corrupt harddrive???

Thanks!

Did scandisk finish or not, if it did without any errors, then a corrupt hard disk may not be to blame, although it could cause the problems you've had. If memory serves me correctly (not by any means guaranteed), the next bit was to go into the graphical part of setup? It might be worthwhile checking your video card is seated properly. Finally, do you have a bootable cdrom, it might install more easily.

my favourite way of re-installing windows 98 is to boot with the floppy, at the command prompt use FDISK to delete all drive partitions, then boot with the floppy again and choose "Run Win98 setup from CD Rom". When you do this, Windows realises that your disk has no partitions and does it itself, then launches straight into the graphical setup. I've found I have a lot more luck this way, and it's almost the closest you can get to a "scratch" install.

good luck, let me know.

MP

i did try booting from the cd rom to initiate the setup but it started conflicting.....it may be the video card. thanks for the help and i did FORGET to fdisk it. not anymore.

Thanks!

I have come across a similar problem, especiallly with the re-install. I encountered some lovely little error messages which are of no help whatsoever.
Examples: "Invalid true Type Fault detected"
"W98 setup caused a General Protection Fault in module Gdi.exe"
"W98 setup caused a General Protection Fault in module User.exe"

Answer appears to be to change the ram. I have just done this and it is all good :)

While on the subject of installing, I have a problem/question: When ready to install Windows98SE. I insert the floppy and eventually get the message Drive K = Driver MSCD001. O.K. so far, I've got the drivers, yes? But typing in K:\setup just gives me the message 'Not Ready Reading Drive K' and of course I can't get any further. Any ideas why the drive can't see the disc? (I've allowed for the letter changes due to Ramdrive) The CD drive is a SCSI re-writer, but this shouldn't make any difference as the drivers seem to have been located. Any ideas anybody? Andy.

It's an additional card. Just in case you were wondering, the windows CD worked fine in that drive before. Is it an idea to unplug the SCSI card and CD writer drive and allow the system to detect the other drive which is a CD ROM only? Thanks for your help. Andy.

What I was thinking of is whether an additional scsi driver might be needed, or whether the scsi was just 'getting in the way'. Why not try what you suggested :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back