Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

globus11

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
GB
i've got dell server pre-install(win2003)... there's 100 mb partion, C:boot partion, D:data partition...so on
is there any issue if i want to delete all current partions including 100mb partion and to start from scratch...(to pop in CD-win2003)?
any input will be greatly appreciated
thanks

No problems. I always do this. Use the Dell disks to reload if you want their utility partition installed.

thanks LawnBoy. what about updates(bios, esm firmware, raid driver, raid firmware)...?
are they necessary... if i just want to reinstall OS and hardware stays as it is?

You shouls have a disk from Dell containing all the drivers they used with the pre-install.

As far as firmware updates, if everything is working I tend to leave well enough alone.

lawnboy said:
You shouls have a disk from Dell containing all the drivers they used with the pre-install.

Not necessarily so. If someone has upgraded the firmware for say a Raid card, you will need the drivers to go with that level of firmware. I have fallen foul of this in the past, as a customer says "Yes we have all the driver disks, only to realise that someone has upgraded the firmware and the old drivers no longer work.

What I would suggest, is locate the driver disks you have, and assertain whether they are for the firmware/bios revisions you have. If they are not, get them before you start.
Make sure BIOS and Firmware levels are compatable on the machine and RAID cards, as this is another common stumbling block.

If you are struggling to find the right drivers which can sometimes be the case with Dell, download the latest drivers and firmware, and update prior to wiping.

To do this, you will need to install the drivers prior to any firmware/bios upgrades.

I entirely agree with using the Dell assisted install CDs if you want the diag/utility partitions.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Yes, necessarily so. Please re-read the sentence more carefully, and note the use of the word "pre-install". The disks Dell ships match the firmware Dell ships.

Fair comment, Lawnboy, just thought this member should be aware that the drivers etc, shipped with the server may no longer worked.

A mistake in my phrasing perhaps.

Regards,

Andy

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor