Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall XP using USB CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

love2rules

Technical User
Jan 31, 2005
US
Hi all

I have this weird situation. I would like to know what are my options?

My laptop:

- XP pro on C.
- HDD is partitioned i.e C&D
- CD-ROM doesn't work (doesnt read any cd)

I want to reinstall XP on C. Would it be possible to boot system with USB CD-ROM? OR can i copy all the XP contents from cd to partition D and install from there?

I am in great need of help don't know what to do here.

Thanks for any suggestion!!!!

love2rules,

If you are familiar with the Settings in BIOS, you can set the USB device to be in the Boot order.

You might also attempt to hit the "F9" key on boot to get the boot selection option.

You did not specify the laptop make or type, these options are available on all laptops that I have encountered of recent manufacturer(2 yrs or so)

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for the reply....

i have old Compaq Evo N150. I looked at BIOS settings but I didnt see any USB devices under boot tab...following options are given:

- ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
- Hard Drive
- Floppy Drive
- Nework Boot

Not to divert from original question. The reason i want to reinstall is:

XP stops at "loading your personal settings" that started to happen after i ran ad-aware and spybot while remotely accessing my laptop. It froze while running spybot and when i got home it was turned off...It didnt work ever since...

if anyone know anything about this problem please let me know.

Have you tried booting into "Last Known good Configuration"?

Hmm I left a note here, wonder what happened to it...

anyways...
Bygeek: Yes i did try that .. it just went to grey screen and didnt seem to go further..

Allteltec: I have copied all the contents from XP cd to D (partitioned HDD)how do i reinstall XP from there?
I did try using that article but no luck. I cannot boot from cd to enter in recovery console and i tried following those steps while in safe mode but system doesnt allow me to perform copy - I get "system/software file has been used by another process"

Please help...I am in BAD shape right now...

BTW -- i can get into safe mode, with Networking or comand prompt.

You have a working Safe Mode. Have you tried System Restore from there? While in Safe Mode, see if you can run Spybot and Ad-aware, both those programs have a restore function in case you originally removed some item that perhaps you shouldn't have.

Again while in Safe Mode, try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Check both boxes available.

Copy the i386 folder from the CD-ROM drive to your local hard disk, and then try to run Setup from your hard disk.

How to install Windows from the I386 folder

307848 - HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP

Consider fixing your CD-ROM, and also you may need to make the Floppy the number one boot device if you go for a DOS Setup.

I am almost giving up on this...

I tried tried restore spyboat, no luck,,,my adaware version doesnt support restore..i have also tried using i386, but it says newer version of XP is installed. and no other option but to cancel. seems like i have fewer options..

- i have external Zip drive ... can i use that as floppy drive...(still how to reinstall?)
- If yes...how can i use partitioned drive to install XP
- can i use networked computer to install XP? as i do have Network boot option in BIOS?

please help i have no idea what to do ..

If the i386 files you have copied do not include the SP2 updated files but your current Windows installation does include SP2, that might produce the error message you are seeing. Either bring you i386 folder up to SP2 or remove SP2.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

Linney

Removing SP2 worked. I was able to run setup from External CD-Drive which was giving me same error as Winnt32 from I386. I was thinking to format C drive and then install XP but obviously this method didn't prompt me to do that, and i care less about that. I will try cleaning up manually....good thing is: XP has been reinstalled and working...
Thank you for your time and all the help...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back