Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall XP SP upgrade no longer available 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

ISP
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Have had to reinstall xp pro version 2002 5.1.2600 Build 2600
On visiting update sp3 no longer available.
I also understand I may first need to install sp1a / sp2?
Also minimum specs for security software is sp3

I would very much appreciate advice on how to update to sp3 ... together with details of still active downloads.

Many thanks,
Eponymous

SP3 is available, the link is above. Also you will need to have SP1 or SP2 installed first. The easiest of course is SP1 but the problem is that doesn't seem to be online and active anymore. The Sp2 download is linked above as well.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Glen 9999,
Thank you so much for your help.

SP2 installed without any problems.

When I try and run sp3 I get the following error message:

<<Windowsxp-kb936929-sp3x86enu is not a valid Win32 application>>>

This suggests either a corrupt file or possibly a 64bit version and wonder if you might know of any alternative download sites please?

Thanks again for all your help.

Best wishes,
Eponymous

SP3 is still working fine from Windows Update. Just keep running updates and you will get it. I do this ALL the time on fresh installs. You will have to do about 3 updates/reboots.

Since these are big files it can be hard sometimes to get a consistent download or copy from various media. You might need to try the download again. Or use Windows Update if you feel comfortable with it.

Hashes for the SP3 file in question if you need help there:

331,805,736 bytes
CRC32: C411A9DA
MD5: BB25707C919DD835A9D9706B5725AF58
SHA-1: C81472F7EEEA2ECA421E116CD4C03E2300EBFDE4

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

glenn9999 and gmnannti - thanks for resolving this. In the old days it was possible to leave a star; which I would have done in response to your two useful responses.

Many thanks,
Eponymous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back