Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall XP Server Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfkeon

Programmer
May 29, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to reinstall the server service in Windows XP? When I try to start the service I get an error 2 "file not found." Thanks.

click on the service
on the pull down tab (automatic, manual, disable)
choose automatic
click apply
click start

Thank you for the reply, but the service will not start. It is set to automatic, but fails to load giving error 2 "file not found." I get the same error if I try to start the service from the command prompt.

Does anyone know how to reinstall a service or what files the server service uses so I can replace them? Thank you.

If memory serves, the Server service gets installed when you install File and Printer Sharing in network connection properties. Maybe if you remove and readd this, you might be prompted to install the missing files again?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had already tried reinstalling file and printer sharing and it did not work. I'll probably just back up this guy's data and do a clean install of Windows. I tried to do a repair install without booting from the CD but I can't because "the version of Windows on the CD is older than the currently installed version." I have not had good luck in the past using the recovery console/repair install when booting from the CD. Thanks for the ideas.

can you "uninstall" the service packs, so the version on the cd and the pc will be the same. i've seen the message you're talking about.

I probably can, but the initial install was pre SP2 and it would take me less time to do a clean install. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back