Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReInstall XP after going from an ATHLON to an XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BChumie

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would know the answer to this. I purchased an athlon XP for my mobo. Everything supports it (mobo wise) and such, but my question is do I need to reinstall windowsXP for the XP processor? I am upgrading from a normal athlon processor and I know there are some new chip features on the new one. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

It is much more important for Win2000/XP than Win9x to re-install the OS when changing motherboards and/or CPUs. As you say, there is much more available on the newer chip and the OS needs to know about it. I saw that with a change from WinNT4 to Win2000.

And you may have to do an activation, try on the 'net first and be prepared for the phone call to MS. Shouldn't be a problem, just explain what you did.

Just changing the processor should cause no problems because all new parameters should be set on the BIOS level. Changing the motherboard to one with a different chipset is a whole other story.

Thanks for the responses. Although now its a split decision. Well I don't know what I am going to do yet. I agree with the motherboard issues but I was wondering if I was just changing the processor couldn't I just update the "processor" drivers? I guess either way isn't really a big deal just trying to avoid some long tedious work.

Brad

dude u dont have to reinstall. its a waste of time windows will see the new cpu and reconfigure the settings..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back