Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall on a T2000 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi folks. Surprisingly (or not?), a patch cluster for Solaris 10 seems to have broken the a T2000 I'm working on and I need to reinstall. I have the DVDs, but can't get the machine to recognise a boot cdrom - text command from hyperterminal at the OK prompt. Any ideas?

No rush - this box isn't currently in production, and won't be for a month or two.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Well, not doing too well with this - the version of Sol. 10 I have is earlier than the T2000 requires. I have attempted to download a new image from the Sun website without success. I'm hoping that the latter is just a work thing and that I'll be able to grab it from home over the weekend. If anyone has any other ideas (or ideed a DVD they could loan me (I'm in the UK)!), please let me know!

is it erroring when you do the boot ... command.

The reason I ask is I had two 5120's that straight from the factory that had issues that left them unable to boot from its dvdrom. They had a faulty power distribution units in them.

Thanks for that. I have been able to boot the machine previously - it seems to be the patch update (using install_cluster) that has broken it. It comes up as far as 'configuring devices' but hangs there.

Have you checked out the LOM port (lights out management) for any errors.. ?

We have several T2000 at work, I can't say that I like the serial access..

We *had* an Avocent (can't recall the exact model) connected to 3 T2000's.
Whenever we accessed the T2000 through the Avocent it crashed
the T2000, needless to say we disconnected it until we research it more to figure out the problem.
rk

Ah well. Downloaded the Sol 10 image, burned it to DVD and put it in the drive (which strangely has no lights) and tried booting from it. Oddly enough, it came back with a message 'The file just loaded does not appear to be executable' (or similar). I think I'm just going to have to buy the DVD set, in the hope that they will at least work!

do you get?

Boot load failed.
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.

this was the pre-dawn to my issue.

That's the one - I'll give the OEM dvd a go, then raise a support if that doesn't do the trick. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Situation resolved! It appears some of these boxes don't like having anything plugged into the serial port (9 pin) when they're rebooting. Removing the offending article has brought the box to life. I imagine Sun must have a fix for this by now - hopefully in a more recent patch cluster.

Thanks for the help - even an expression of interest and shared experience is better than nothing at all!!

That was the same issue (9 Pin Serial) I was referring to..

We disconnected our Avocent because it was causing the box to crash when we accessed it..

We had to use lom to boot it..

I didn't know if it was only our issue but it sounds
like something Sun needs to fix..

rk

Thanks roundkat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back