Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall of Sidekick 98 on Windows 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xl60

Technical User
Jan 30, 2004
US
I recently had a complete hard drive crash and lost all my Sidekick98 data on a Windows 2000 laptop.

I have the original SK98 installation CD and a backup of my entire C:\SKW98 FOLDER including my own personal data in a subfolder called Userdata2000 which contains my .SKW files .SKCARD files etc., that were backed up over a month ago(better than nothing)The program folder also has the newer yintl.dll and sidekick.exe files dated Jan.2000
I am able to reinstall the Sidekick98 program itself but can't seem to open my saved calender, TO-DOs, and cardlog.
Some files like my NOTES and Cardfile seem to be read-only now.

One error I get when I try opening my own calendar is something about an invalid username.

Please direct me, in sequence what I need to do. I believe I have everything I need but must be messing up somewhere...
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Dear Mark,
You probably backed the Files up to a CD
and therefore they became Read Only and have remained that way now you have copied them back to your hard drive.
You will have to reset the File properties using Windows Explorer.
This means that using WindowsExplorer you have to open the folder(s) that your files are in and select all the files and then right-click on them and select properties and Untick the Read-Only property.
In the case of the Calendar that could be why it is asking for a password?
POst Back if you still have problems...

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Jim,
You hit the nail on the head! Thanks very much.
The files were indeed in a "read-only" state.
Is this a common behavior of CD drive backups?

On another note: My To-Do items create date has always shown the wrong Year. Is there Any fix for this one? This is a minor bug compared to my first problem.

Thanks again.
Mark

Dear Mark,
When you access your files on a CD from the Open/Save dialog within a program or from Windows Explorer, there is no likelihood that you will be able to change the files on the CD.
It is not like a Floppy disc that allows you to read AND write files from just about any program.

The ToDo creation date problem has been there since 2000 and that AFAIK is the way it will remain.
(It gives us a chance to do some simple math(s) and keep in practice for grocery shopping without a Credit Card)!!

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I have my original Sidekick 98. I want to install it on my Windows 2000 laptop, but the install won't work. It spins the disk but nothing ever happens beyond the initial splash screen.

Dear littlepear,
Hallo again,
Have you tried Right-Clicking on the drive icon in Windows Explorer and choosing
Install Sidekick98
from the context menu.
Or Install.exe must be on the CD somewhere, try double-clicking that too.
I am not completely sure that the Context menu option is there, if not, then check out another program install on another disk in case there is a problem with your CD drive.

Regards Jim

I finally got SK 98 installed on my Win2000 laptop. It just takes an awfully long time for the setup to begin after starting the install process. Either that or there was a booger on my CD.

I don't know what I would do without Sidekick 98. :-X I tried 99, but it wasn't as trick. So I went back to 98.

Dear Littlepear,
If there is any damage on the CD it keeps trying to read it until it gets all the info.
You can get another CD from

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back