Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall Exchange Agent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbaker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2002
US
Over the weekend, we moved Exchange 5.5 to a new server. The server name and IP are the same as the old server. We have been using Backup Exec 8.6 to backup exchange for awhile now without any problems. Ever since we moved exchange, I have to reinstall the exchange agent on the backup exec server everytime after backup up exchange. A nighly backup picks up exchange. If I don't reinstall the exchange agent, the next nights backup will fail with the following message:

Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\JSE08\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Is backup exec trying to look for the old server for some reason? The only other thing that changed is on the old backup exec server, we also backup a shared folder so we had a remote agent installed on the server. The new server has only exchange on it so we should only need to have an exchange agent since that's the only thing we are backup up off of the server.

Thanks

James

I think you do need to install the remote agent. But to be honest I don't know whether you have to do it on the backup server or the exchange server.

According to Veritas, the exchange agent needs to be installed on the Backup Exec Server and it doesn't mention anything about needing a Remote Agent as well. Before I install it, I would like to make sure.

The remote agent needs to be installed on the exchange server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Thanks for the response, I installed the remote agent and it started working. I've never seen any documentation on this.

Thanks

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back